Menu

Undercoating a Miata for Winter

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The Body Shop Undercoating a Miata for Winter

• Creator
    Topic
    Adrian HallAdrian Hall
    Participant

We just bought a pristine 1992 Miata (well, pristine aside from the supercharger), an excellent choice for summer. However, this is our second vehicle and the first is generally occupied with taking my girlfriend to work. As such the Miata will now see light winter use. I feel a bit guilty about that so I want to do everything I can to limit the damage. I know that generally undercoating is a scam but I’m wondering if ocassionally having the undercoat redone may be worth it on an old japanese sun-mobile. What else might I want to do?

And yes I will put winter tires on it. You need them in central Canada, even on a Subaru.

Thanks!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      gabe collinsgabe collins
      Participant

The best way to prevent rust is to wash it at a car wash regularly. That’ll wash all the salt off the paint and really help keep it free of rust. Theres a couple good under coatings like rhino liner, lizard skin etc. A good alternative if you cant find any of those is truck bed liner. Its a tough coating that protects a truck bed from rust. But on that note look over the car very closely for any spec of rust. It will spread and get worse over time so nail it while its not super bad!

Adrian HallAdrian Hall
        Participant

That’s pretty much what I thought, though the truck liner is an interesting idea. I have basically accepted that I am going to have to wash this car frequently (I’m lucky there is a self-hand-washing place near our apartment) and keep it covered when not in use. If I were to have it undercoated I would get it done professionally. Thanks for the advice.

gabe collinsgabe collins
          Participant

Your welcome. hope it works for you!

Tom BryantTom Bryant
            Participant

Forget any rubberized type undercoat. Use clear film or a clear like wax protectant such as Dynax UC from Bilt Hamber.

Ideally you want to degrease the whole underside before applying anything.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…