Menu

2004 Chevy 2500HD Troublesome Leak

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2004 Chevy 2500HD Troublesome Leak

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    college mancollege man
      Elizabeth StampsElizabeth Stamps
      Participant

It’s my transfer case. I have a NP 263HD. Looking like the seal between the transmission and the front of the case. At first mention… everyone’s like ewhhh….a pin hole!! But, I don’t really think so. I can’t completely rule this out, but all the fluid is coming from the front. It’s a slow messy leak. At first
        (2 weeks ago) I checked the level. It was good. But I noticed it was dark grey. Not red. I am to use Dexron III . So I drained and refilled. Then I noticed the leak was for sure red. This helped me eliminate the possibility that it was oil coming from the blow by vent. I topped it off this morning to ensure I don’t run dry. I added about 6 oz. It’s been a week since I drained and filled.

college mancollege man

Check that you don’t have a pin hole in the case. The transfer case needs to come out to
          do the seal. While the case is out there is an upgrade to fix another issue in the case that
          rubs through. More in the link

Participant

I kinda wish it was a pin hole leak at this point. That way I knew what it was, and I could fix it. The leak is coming from the from of the case. Not the back. Its dripping down and has the transfer case motor soaked. The Transmission mount is soaked. I attached a photo of that. I’m hoping you can help me brainstorm possibilities. I’ll put pics I have of this. Would the input seal cause this?

Attachments:
            Participant

I am proud to report back…I was able to do a DIY repair on my truck.
              I kept an eye on the level on my transfer case fluid. I noticed it was dark so when I changed my oil also changed the fluid in the transfer case-Detron III. I high pressure hot water and de-greased the undercarriage to help pinpoint the location of the leak. It was definitely coming from the front of the case at the transmission. Because I was keeping an eye on it, I actually watched the pin hole from the pump knock happen. It was crazy. I went from no hole to a huge gaping hole gushing red fluid! I parked it immediately and ordered parts. I ordered small parts, filter, and the Mechanics Automotive pump upgrade. I also ordered a new magnesium back housing. I didn’t trust welding it. And new plugs. I lined up a heated garage and a strong man to help me get the TC out. It was actually pretty easy. Since my truck is lifted it made it very easy to get underneath it. I can sit upright under it. This is definitely a bonus!
              But when I got it out, I only had 5 of the 6 nuts from the mounting bolts… this was causing my leak!! It ended up being a broken mounting stud. That’s why I only had 5 of the 6 nuts. I did the pump seal upgrade, installed a new mounting bolt along with all the other parts I ordered and BAM! The Beast is back up and running. Better that before! Except… it is running a little rich on fuel. Any suggestions?

Attachments:
              college mancollege man

Great job on everything thus far. 🙂 I would check for any codes. If you don’t
                have a code reader stop at an auto part store and they will scan it for free.
                Couple things you can do in the mean time. Try doing a power balance test.
                Clean your mass air flow sensor. Clean your Throttle body. Check that your
                air filter is clean. replace it if necessary. More in this link. 😉

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-performance-issues

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…