Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 5.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee lifter failure 2011 –

5.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee lifter failure 2011 –

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Common Problems/Pattern Failures 5.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee lifter failure 2011 –

• Creator
    Topic
    Jeremy GuyJeremy Guy
    Participant

Lifter failure of the Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L MDS hemi engine appears to be a pattern failure and a very expensive fix. The exact cause seems to be undetermined but the needle roller bearings of the lifters sieze wearing a groove into the cam shaft and a misfire is then recorded. It happens to the lifters of various cylinders. The repair costs roughly $6-7k plus. Obtaining the replacement lifters is also an issue causing months of delays in repairs, and it would seem a fair assumption that scarcity is due to the number of replacement lifters being required. My vehicle is a 2011 with only 130k kms and well maintained.
      If the vehicle is out of warranty Jeep will not fix this issue period. If anyone has news of a class action law suit on this issue taking place count me in and pass it on.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      GregGreg
      Participant

I had the same issue a few months ago. 2011 grand Cherokee, 90k miles, well maintained, lifter took out the cam lobe. To make things worse, parts weren’t available to fix. After waiting a month on back ordered Mopar parts, and barrowing a friends car, I agreed to installing after market lifters and cam. Immediately one lifter wouldn’t hold pressure and ticked. The shop replaced one side of lifters, and tick was gone. Now I’ve got 2500 miles on these lifters, and they bleed down when sitting overnight. It seems these aftermarket lifters are crap, so I’ll have to pay to redo, again! Not happy

Jeremy GuyJeremy Guy
        Participant

The Chrysler dealers wouldn’t put aftermarket parts in mine but they managed to find the lifters in two separate locations to make a full set. (I’m hoping all that’s true anyway). It took three weeks.
          Having said that it was the genuine parts that failed in the first place.
          The repair seems to be fine so far. I think changing over to standard lifters and deleting the MDS is the best idea if you can do it or get it done. It seems to be the MDS that is the issue. Without a definitive cause the oem fix a gamble. Maybe it’s a part failure, maybe cam vibrations or poor oil delivery due to some tiny imperfection elsewhere in the engine. Does anyone know for sure? They did replace a pulley wheel which had been broken. Had it been damaged when they replaced the water pump a few months ago and did it affect the cam shaft? Who knows?
          I wrote to Chrysler. Their front desk robot said out of warranty out of luck. Wouldn’t say anything more than that. I was saying it was a recall issue due to pattern failure of a fundamental component and as such was still their responsibility. It seems without litigation they will do nothing. And yes the lack of parts and subsequent delay rubs salt into the wound plus the lack of an exact cause makes the repair seem more of a gamble than it should be after $7K bill!
          They did the brake boost shield recall while mine was in and then didn’t fasten the wheel arches back up properly. Liners holed and side trim blew off on the highway, so waiting for those parts now. I hope it wasn’t the same mechanic that worked on the engine!
          So I also had to pay for a pulley wheel, probably they damaged it during the repair and then coincidentally the throttle body needed replacing when they test drove it, another part to pay for which was working fine before.
          Write to Chrysler, at least let them know you are yet another pissed off customer. Regardless of how old the car is, if it’s done less than 200k miles the engine should be fine. The fact that many are failing after a quarter of that is appalling and they should step in and fix it regardless of vehicle age.
          The statute of limitations, according to NHTSA, for all no-charge recall repairs is 10 years from the original sale date of the vehicle.

jim piryjim piry
          Participant

First Post, I have a 2012 JGC Limited with the 5.7 and I have 227000 mi Well maintained a few days ago it started running rough (Chugging like) I had the same issue about a year ago and the dealer said it was a faulty oil pres switch, I figured it was the same as my Oil Pres was around 24-27# at idol same symptom’s OR the Fuel pump relay “Again” They have a recall out again for that but the dealer said they are on back order and No idea when they will get them Not sure it yours are stalling but at least 1X a day mine is.
            well got the dreaded call #3 intake spun 90 degrees no longer rolling grinding into the camshaft and they were not sure if it would be covered under MAXicare An adjuster is coming out to inspect and determine…. side note they declined a Motor mount and rear drive shaft about 2 mo ago with my Life time Unlimited MI warranty Due to age and Miles After Trying to reach out to Mopar, Jeep and FCA No reply’s from any. That engine should go 300K Easy with out internal damage IF Properly maintained after reading MANY posts on Many sites this is a problem that they are aware of and are hoping owners Just Go away and chalk it up as typical for a older vehicle, Some say it has everything to do with the MSD that drops out Cylinders achieve the ECO status.
            Before anyone brings up my Mileage I have had engines go 400K (95 Cherokee) and rusted out before Any major eng issues I have been a dedicated Jeep owner since 1985. I wanted to put this out so others who are searching will find they are Not alone. Thanks

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

BTW you’re not suppose to just change lifters on a flat tappet cam. You need to replace the cam and lifters at the same time as they are a matched set.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…