Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1994 Ford Taurus blows fuel pump (not SHO or FFV)

1994 Ford Taurus blows fuel pump (not SHO or FFV)

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1994 Ford Taurus blows fuel pump (not SHO or FFV)

• Creator
    Topic
    Charles MottCharles Mott
    Participant

I have a 1994 Ford taurus that keeps on blowing the fuel pump fuse as soon as the car is started. I have replaced the fuel pump and it still blows the fuse. What should I do now I’m kinda lost? How do I go about even testing (fuses area getting expensive). Also I have checked out the PCM and some of the pins look a little bit mangled.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Paul HartmannPaul Hartmann
      Participant

you have a short circuit. the wires from the fuse box to the fuel pump are likely long, and it might be there. do you know how to use a electric meter? with a friend you could figure out which wire is bad by using the continuity gauge.

Charles MottCharles Mott
        Participant

Thank you so much for the response. I have included pictures of the fuse box. My problem is that i am not sure how to go about figuring out how to solve this problem. I have replaced the fuel pump with a brand new pump assuming that would fix the issue but it didn’t. So should I drop my fuel tank again and plug in a cable toner (fox and hound) to the wires near the pump and the toner at the blown fuse site? I guess I am looking for testing techniques. Thanks for the replies again!

Paul HartmannPaul Hartmann
          Participant

it might be more productive to just follow the wires from fuse to pump and look for frayed wire insulation, etc. if you can find the wire say near the dash, a continuity meter would tell you if the wire is good from the metal fuse connector to were the wire is. If you take out the rear seat, can you find the wires to the pump? what color are the wires?

Charles MottCharles Mott
            Participant

It is extremely difficult trying to figure out out how to trace the wires back to the fuel pump. I know that the wires go into the firewall on the right side but I can’t tell where the come through the firewall. I believe it is connected to pcm. I bought the official Ford wiring for the vehicle but I can’t really make sense of it. For example what is the difference between a terminal and a pin?

JamesJames
              Participant

Howdy! Have you ever figured it out?

Charles MottCharles Mott
                Participant

I have not. I’m dying!

JamesJames
                  Participant

Oh sorry to hear that. Double check the ground

Charles MottCharles Mott
                    Participant

What is a good approach for that. Everything in the internal fuse box seems to be wired hot. Not sure how to check the ground. Do I check the ground for the fuel pump?

JamesJames
                      Participant

Yes, that’s actually a guess since I’ve read a few issues with fuses blown due to a bad ground. Hope more experts would chime in here.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…