Menu

code P0420 on 2003 nissan altima

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here code P0420 on 2003 nissan altima

• Creator
    Topic
    Gregory KamGregory Kam
    Participant

Hello,
      I watched your video regarding catalytic converter problem. In the video you showed a bad converter(fluctuating o2 sensor(after the converter) and temperature at
      the output lower than the temperature at the input). I have a problem, using the scan tool, I looked at the o2 sensors and they are performing correctly(o2 sensor after the
      converter was relatively stable and did not follow the o2 sensor before the converter). That being said, the temperature measurement at the output was lower(more than 200 deg F)
      than the temperature at the input. So, I failed one of the two criteria. Does this mean that the converter is still bad? Hey, I made a mistake when I looked at the scan readings for the o2 sensors. I did not realize how fast the readings update. Well, today(Jan-18) I did the same readings using the scan tool, but I selected the graph the data. The data showed that
      the downstream o2 sensor was moving rapidly and not stable. It was close to following the upstream o2 sensor(normally switches quickly). So, Eric you were spot on and correct when you said that both test(scan reading and temp reading) is pointing to a bad catalytic converter. Thanks for the very good video.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

JMHO …
        Sounds like the converter has had it.

Michael SacksteinMichael Sackstein
        Participant

Yep it’s bad. Time for a new catalytic converter. And you wanna replace it sooner rather than later because those altimas are notorious for sucking the internal comb part of the catalytic converters into the engine, and then you have to replace the engine. So you don’t want it to get to that point. I see that a lot on Nissans, especially the altimas.

Jason OteroJason Otero
          Participant

I been a fan for a long time I can honestly say you help me pay my bills and I appreciate everything you do and I respect your work and this is what I like to do my self been working on all different types of vehicles for the last 23-years I like getting my hands dirty lol.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…