Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Stiff steering wheel on 2003 acura rl

Stiff steering wheel on 2003 acura rl

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Stiff steering wheel on 2003 acura rl

• Creator
    Topic
    oscar gonzalezoscar gonzalez
    Participant

Good afternoon, My question is about my 2003 acura rl.I have replace my rack and pinion twice at the acura dealership because of leaks.Everysince the first rack was replace i notice my steering was very stiff after the new rack was installed.Even with the secound rack the steering is still stiff.I have also replace the power steering pump and the two main lines to the pump but it is still stiff.Almost feels like its only working mechanical.Sometimes it will be a little soft put 95% of the time it is very stiff.It takes two hands to make turns.Is there something the dealer miss that needed to be replace? I have also cleaned out the reseviour to the pump just to make sure i had plenty of fluid going to the pump.Can you please help.

Oscar

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

Try this test. when in park and car running, rev the car to 1500 and turn the wheel. If the steering gets easier
        then the pump would be suspect. The pump that was replaced was it a Honda pump? There is a pressure test
        that can be done on the pump at the dealership to diagnose the pump. This way your diagnosing the problem
        and not changing parts. Since the work was done at the dealership I would think the fluid used was Honda fluid.
        We will subtract that from the equation for now.

Participant

Yes , I have tried to rev the engine but the steering is still stiff . The new pump is OEM. My old pump was not but the issue is the same on both pumps .The only time it feels a little better is when I first start the car and drive after a few minutes it gets stiff again.i did check the rack myself this week and notice the the two return lines have a small leak . Looks like the nuts where not screwed in all the way . Would that cause a problem? When I first clean the reservoir I notice that When I pulled the return lines off to clean the reservoir they did not have any oil in them .

college mancollege man

Leaks on a hydraulic system can cause aeration of the fluid. The fluid will to fluffy and not create a solid hydraulic pressure.
            That would need to be addressed. If you look into the PS reservoir does the fluid look airy/fluffy bubbly? It should just look
            like PS fluid that has been just poured in. If the system had no fluid when the lines were pulled the system has air or your not
            circulating. can you see flow in the reservoir? It sounds like the fluid is aerating on you. This is why the steering feels good when
            first running and after running its aerating. Fix the leaks and see if the problem goes away. Look at the fluid before you start the car.
            should look like oil without the air.

Participant

I donot see that the oil is fluffy,but i also donot see it circulating at all.I will fix the leaks first and then see what happens.Thank you very much for your help.I will keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks

college mancollege man

Keep us posted on your progress.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…