03 Lexus LS430 - Ticking Drivers Side Cam Cover

• Arcturus
  • Topic Author
  • 3rd Gear
  • 3rd Gear
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #202809 by Arcturus
Hello,

I have a 2003 Lexus LS430. It has developed a ticking sound that follows the engine RPM and when I put the stethoscope on it it appears loudest over the drivers side cam cover. I had the exhaust manifold looked at by a shop and they said there’s no manifold leak. I replaced the VVTi solenoid with no change. Is there any way to find out what this actually is? The car runs fine well with no performance issues or engine trouble codes.

If anyone can help me troubleshoot this it would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #202811 by CrankyGuy
Replied by CrankyGuy on topic 03 Lexus LS430 - Ticking Drivers Side Cam Cover
I am not an expert on Lexus, but I have been doing my own maintenance on all my three vehicles I own. This issue on your car sounds like a bad lifter to me and maybe you should think about going into a lifter diagnostic to rule out this possibility. It is what I would do, I know it sounds easier said than done, but if you like DIY stuff this will be a good task to take on. Perhaps could be a bad valve or a piston clearance issue. So, you need to look deeper into the engine, I would.

More
1 week 4 days ago #202847 by creativepotato
Replied by creativepotato on topic 03 Lexus LS430 - Ticking Drivers Side Cam Cover
Might be a preventative maintenance sound that you're due for a timing belt change. She's a beauty!

'93 Camry 2.2L - 333k

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds