Menu

Sensor Burnup Mystery

• Creator
    Topic
    ChrisChris
    Participant

I recently purchased a second 2004 MINI Cooper R50 with two issues (not starting and not shifting into higher gears with a CVT). Using ISTA and INPA, I found that the transmission would throw an EP error once it had issue with the Rotational Speed Sensor (0721). I attempted to replace the original, same issue arose immediately. I replaced the connector…same issue. Thought it might be a bad sensor…replaced with no fix. Noticed the wire on the pigtail had burned up the insulation was completely gone, exposing bare wire on all three wires. I replaced the engine wire harness and another sensor…burned up again! No issue on the wire in the harness, just from the connector to the sensor. This is all that has been done so far, but it still losing sensors
      – Replaced Engine Harness
      – Replaced ECU (Computer) with a newly programmed device
      – Replaced Engine Fuse Box
      – Replaced TCM
      – Replaced Valve Body

The car is started, moved no more than 100 yards, checked and the wire is already destroyed.
      Any ideas?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

Some section of wiring connected to that harness section has a short to ground and is running excess current through those wires.

ChrisChris
        Participant

It has three wires to the sensor in the harness. One wire goes to the engine fuse box 15amp fuse that has never tripped. The other two go to the engine computer, a signal and ground. The fuse box, computer and harness have all been replaced.

Dave TidmanDave Tidman
          Participant

I would determine how much current is running through that 15A fuse. I have seen wires get hot and melt insulation without tripping any fuses. Once you determine if there is a high current condition, a wiring diagram can help trace the issue.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…