Menu

03 Suburban 5.3 Lifter Leak Down

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 03 Suburban 5.3 Lifter Leak Down

• Creator
    Topic
    A . SpruceA . Spruce
    Participant

Hey all,

I recently purchased an 03 Suburban with a 5.3. When it sits for more than 48 to 72 hours it’s got a pretty significant rattle on cold start for a split second. My guess is that 1 or more lifters are leaking down, hence the noise, until the oil pressurizes again. Start and run it every day, no noise. No noise when driving, load/no load, doesn’t matter, quiet as a church mouse.

From what I’ve been reading online here and various other forums, lifter tick is a common problem, I don’t have that, at least not sustained. And lifter leak down is considered “normal”, but this is the first vehicle I’ve owned that has displayed this particular quirk. I have driven an 02 Sierra, purchased new, for the past 17 years, no lifter noises or rattles ever, before that I had a ’95 Sierra (purchased new) and never had any engine noises from that either.

While I’m confident that the problem is lifter leak down and the most efficacious “fix” is to simply start and run it for a few minutes every day to prevent leak down and subsequent cam damage, I would like some input from the pros:

1 – Do you concur that it’s lifter leak down?
      2 – Is there a way to diagnose this more accurately?
      3 – Is it worth the cost of installing new lifters (approx $500 in parts)
      4 – If new lifters are the ticket, what are the odds that the cam would need to be changed as well?

As I said, this is an 03 Suburban, 5.3L engine, 146K on the clock. I was told that there’s been no major engine work and no tranny work done. It is in good overall condition, just in need of some TLC, mostly minor aesthetics. I will be replacing brakes all around and new front shocks in the coming days. Other than that, she seems to have really good bones.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

So let me get this right…. after you start it it has a significant rattle for a split second, then you have no noise and it is quiet as a mouse???

Then, it runs fine and causes no issues?

It is currently running fine and has no problems?

All this on a SIXTEEN (16) year old vehicle with 146K miles on it and you want it to be silent as the day it was bought?

Talk about first world problems (LOL :))

1. yes, it is probably ticking due to lifters.

2. See above

3. Uh, is it worth replacing lifters…. Well, you want to tear into your engine and replace the lifters spending several hours doing this, then I suppose it is…. However when replacing lifters you have to replace them all, and you should replace the CAM.

4. See above.

P.S. you can always go to bobistheoilguy.com and tell them about your issue and have 45+people tell you about amsoil, additives and secret potions that enable them to get 750k miles on their engines with no noises!!!! 🙂 🙂

Good luck

-Karl

A . SpruceA . Spruce
        Participant

To clarify, no, I don’t expect a 16 year old vehicle to be without it’s quirks and noises.

My main concern, assuming it’s lifter related, is that I want to avoid damaging the cam or anything else.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…