Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Checking whether I need an oil change yet.

Checking whether I need an oil change yet.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Checking whether I need an oil change yet.

• Creator
    Topic
    garrygarry
    Participant

*all units are in Miles*
      I purchased one of those 15k mile filters and accompanying oil (mobil one) for my 2011 Toyota Camry (change done at 130k miles).

10 thousand miles later I am becoming nervous that I am prematurely aging my engine by not changing it now.

I was thinking of sending a sample to get tested…somewhere? Is there a place I can send my current oil to see if it still has life left in it after 10k? oil on dipstick didn’t look overly dirty (surely didn’t look new but was still translucent to a degree), and was halfway from the low to the full mark (sitting in my level driveway after driving for an hour if it makes a difference)

As an aside, I saw they now offer a TWENTY KAY mile filter at autozone (mobil 1 again). Worth $20? I drive enough to rack up that much in a year.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      PaulPaul
      Participant

[quote=”wonderbread” post=202511]I was thinking of sending a sample to get tested…somewhere? Is there a place I can send my current oil to see if it still has life left in it after 10k? [/quote]

The cost of an oil analysis is about the same a DIY oil change (monthly special at most auto parts stores). So, I just follow the manufacturer’s recommended interval.

Complete speculation: Some vehicles specify changing the filter with every other oil change, and a filter rating of 15k-20k miles conveniently matches the newer oil change intervals.

Rahul JonesRahul Jones
        Participant

I live in a Hot and Dusty region but still, some manufacturers have intervals every 15,000KMs. They do use the high quality certified brand oils. These engines don’t seem to have any problems at the early stages but as it covers more miles, Variable Valve system tends to fail.

I personally would prefer to do Full Synthetic oil change every 10,000KMs/1-Year for regular vehicle and 5,000KMs/6-Months for my weekend blast ride.

Billy AndrewsBilly
          Participant

Oil is cheap. Oil filters are extremely cheap. Engines are very expensive. Why on earth do people want to take their OCIs past 5000 miles? So foolish.

A toyotakarlIts me

Totally Agree with Hanneman and Relative4…..

Here is the real secret from a Master Tech and someone who has been working on cars for over 34 years…… Especially in regard to a 2011 Camry…

DO WHAT THE OWNERS MANUAL SAYS!!!!

IF IT SAYS SYNTHETIC, GIVE IT SYNTHETIC!!!

IF IT SAYS CHANGE AT 10K MILES, CHANGE IT AT 10K MILES!!!

IF IT SAYS CHANGE AT 5K MILES IN DUSTY CONDITIONS AND YOU LIVE IN AN AREA WITH DUSTY CONDITIONS, CHANGE IT AT 5K MILES!!

IT AINT HARD PEOPLE!!!

P.S. If you are one of those crazy engine oil guys, you should go and join Bobistheoilguy.com to argue incessantly about how to get 800,000 miles on your engine without any ticking and what oil and additive is the best when you get a tick at 537,342 miles!!! 🙂

:):):)

-Karl

garrygarry
              Participant

I mean, I think even Toyota recommends 7500 miles. Heck I don’t know of any commuter car made today that uses full synthetic that recommends 5k, maybe under extreme conditions?

As to why I would: less time spend on my uneven asphalt driveway getting dirty the better, plus less waste, which is just generally a good thing to strive for in life.

I’ll send a sample to blackstone, it’ll involve me doing what I just said I want to avoid but the information will be valuable for future oil changes, worth doing it once.

Thank you for your input everyone!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…