Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1997-2001 Honda CR-V Double overhead cams out of Timing.

1997-2001 Honda CR-V Double overhead cams out of Timing.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1997-2001 Honda CR-V Double overhead cams out of Timing.

• Creator
    Topic
    MarkMark
    Participant

Hi,

2001 Honda CRV. Had a leaking Radiator, car overheated and blown the head gasket. I want to take the head to the machine shop, but the Crankshaft is on time, but the two over head camshafts are out of alignment.

The Exhaust cam timing gear mark is about 1 to 1- 1/2 tooth left of the 12 o’clock mark, and the Intake is about 1/2 tooth left of the 12 o’clock mark.

Should I just loosen the camshaft holder bolts (in normal torque sequence obviously) and align them?

Or is it more complicated than that?

Will I need to buy a degree wheel and dial indicator to align them? Etc….

Thank you,

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Todd SmithTodd Smith
      Participant

Camshaft alignment is not necessary before cylinder head removal. Camshaft alignment is only necessary when installing the cylinder head.

MarkMark
        Participant

Thank you Tods213,

Now that I have it back from the machine shop. I cleaned the block the cylinders and test the block with a straight edge. Everything seems to be perfect.

How do I align the camshafts now?

Todd SmithTodd Smith
          Participant

Ah. With the UP marks pointing approximately at 12 o’clock, you should see two marks at 3 and 9 o’clock. These two marks should line up with the top surface of the cylinder head.
            The UP mark is not the real timing mark.

All belt slack should be with the tensioner pulley and not the water pump. If you don’t do this, you will be one tooth off when you release the tensioner spring.

MarkMark
            Participant

Thanks again Tod,

I do know about the Exhaust Camshaft Gear at 3 o’clock and the Intake at 9 o’clock, but they’re not. The cams were already out of timing (2:8) and I’m trying to find any YouTube video, any video on the web, that handles that kind of problem.

Eric has a wide range of videos, but like everyone else, he assumes that once you turn the crankshaft and set the timing marks on the crankshaft and the timing belt cover or on the block, the double cams or single cam, for that matter, will also lend perfectly on time. But, it is not always like that.

I understand about the tensioner, but that only applies when you’re trying to fit the belt after all the timing marks are set, and it’s usually about setting the Exhaust cam about one tooth out, then it will lend perfectly after the tensioner is set.

This problem had both camshafts about 2 1/2 teeth out of timing the 2:8 really.
              1.5: 7.5 (not really 2 o’clock, and not really at 8 o’clock).

How do you adjust that?

If you have any link of any YouTube video or Non-YouTube video about my dilemma, please send me the link.

Greatly appreciate your time in helping me with this.

Todd SmithTodd Smith
              Participant

I have a few ideas but maybe we can make this easier.
                Would you upload a photo of what you are seeing?
                Normally, a B20 timing belt job should not be this difficult.

Billy AndrewsBilly
                Participant

Are you trying to ask how to turn a camshaft?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…