Random engine sputtering

• supercar14
  • supercar14's Avatar Topic Author
  • 2nd Gear
  • 2nd Gear
More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #202103 by supercar14
Random engine sputtering was created by supercar14
I have a 2005 Hyundai Accent 1.6L (I think) with around 143K miles on it that intermittently will sputter and hesitate for a second before going back to normal. It used to only do it while sitting at a stop light but has gotten worse to where it will do it while moving both with and without the gas being pressed. There are no check engine codes and it happens randomly so I can’t replicate it while I’m looking at the engine. Aside from an oil leak that I can’t find the engine has no other issues that I know of. The oil does get onto the drive belts and cause them occasionally slip but they squeal like a banshee when they do and the two things have never coincided so I don’t think they’re related. But I put it here just in case. Any suggestions on where/what to start looking for?
Thanks

2005 Hyundai Accent
2001 Hyundai Elantra
(currently sitting with a dead transmission)
1965 Ford Mustang
forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-musta...5-coupe-project.html Restoration Project on hold for the foreseeable future
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by supercar14.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #202110 by J5
Replied by J5 on topic Random engine sputtering
go to you local parts store get the uv oil kit...glass, uv oil, and flashlight. You will be able to use it to solve the oil leak. The question is is it engine oil, powersteering, or brake? check your valve cover: it's the highest point (educated guess).
The sputtering don't know....maybe fuel pump!...what would be good to know: mileage, maintenance records, your skill and tools available...like I said could be fuel pump( do you have a fuel pressure tester) to test your fuel pressure.
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by J5.

• nightflyr
  • 6th Gear
  • 6th Gear
  • 2002 Nissan Xterra 3.3L 4X4
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #202117 by nightflyr
Replied by nightflyr on topic Random engine sputtering
Concerning your engine issue...
May wish to get a diagnostic reader with live data and get known good readings then have it when the engine begins to " sputter and hesitate " and see what is the difference between the them to at least start you in a direction.

• supercar14
  • 2nd Gear
  • 2nd Gear
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #202120 by supercar14
Replied by supercar14 on topic Random engine sputtering
I forgot to clarify in the original post that it sputters like its about to stall out, then just keeps going like normal, my bad. I don't know if that helps anything. I did say in the first post that it had around 143K miles, but if you want an exact number I just looked and 143,206 miles.

I'll look into those live diagnostic reads but my initial quick search showed they were all over $100, which more than i can afford right now. Do you know of any good one that are cheaper? I know these things are you get what you pay for, and if this problem keeps getting worse I'll just bit that bullet but I'd prefer to avoid it if possible.

2005 Hyundai Accent
2001 Hyundai Elantra
1965 Ford Mustang
forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-musta...5-coupe-project.html Restoration Project on hold for the foreseeable future

• nightflyr
  • 6th Gear
  • 6th Gear
  • 2002 Nissan Xterra 3.3L 4X4
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #202121 by nightflyr
Replied by nightflyr on topic Random engine sputtering
A cheap and dirty choice is to get a blue tooth unit ( usually under $25.00 ) and get the TORQUE app for your phone or tablet.
There are a few videos on YouTube that show how to use it.

Advertisement
  • supercar14
  • 2nd Gear
  • 2nd Gear
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #202443 by supercar14
Replied by supercar14 on topic Random engine sputtering
A quick update. I got the OBD Fusion app since Torque Pro isnt a available of iphones. But ever since I started monitoring the car the problem has gone away. All the monitors that I've been able to use look normal so hopefully its fine now for whatever reason.

2005 Hyundai Accent
2001 Hyundai Elantra
1965 Ford Mustang

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds