Menu

Jeep blew up

• Creator
    Topic
    GeorgeGeorge
    Participant

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0. 190,000 miles Engine was quiet then overnight developed a tick much like lifter noise. I pulled valve cover and all rockers, pushrods, and inspected everything with no problems found. Re-assembled and still the ticking noise continued. Took for short drive and while coming up a steep incline at about half throttle the engine made a loud noise then began running on what seemed like 2 cylinders with ck eng light flashing. I pulled to side of them road and engine died. Immediately a huge grey puddle of oil mixed with antifreeze formed under the front of the engine. AAA towed the jeep to my yard where it sits till we get better weather and i can look into it further. This sounds similar to Erics friends Jeep that grenaded the engine. Any ideas while i await spring time?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Consider the age, mileage and overall condition of the vehicle to determine if investing in a replacement engine is cost effective.
        Be that a reman short or long block or a used engine.
        Providing the original engine is nuked.
        Also keep in mind the condition of the transmission, front end, suspension, brakes etc.

GeorgeGeorge
        Participant

Update. Finally got around to finding just what exactly went wrong with my 01 Jeep GC. The ticking that turned into a big bang ended up being a hand sized hole in the engie block just behind the drivers side motor mount. I can reach in and flop the connecting rod from side to side.
          For Sale Jeep GC. Not running, may need tune-up. Hahaha.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…