Menu

Ford contour jerking

• Creator
    Topic
    S .S.
    Participant

I have a 00 Ford Contour V6 5 speed im having issues with. When I accelerate the car is jerky & when I decelerate it feels like something is holding back or choking the engine & when I go to accelerate again sometimes it falls flat on its face, jerks a bit then comes out of it. Then it will go away & run fine. It idles fine too. Then sometimes the idle will stick when im driving, I’ll go to shift gears & the idle wont come down & when I come to a stop to investigate the idle will not stick. But if Im cruising in neutral & rev the engine I can get it to stick all I want until I come to a complete stop then its fine. Then other days it runs completely fine. Very odd. I have sprayed around looking for vacuum leaks & found nothing. No Codes either.

Things that have been done to the car over the years:
      Spark plugs, wires, PCV valve, fuel filter/fuel pump, cam sensor, intake gaskets upper & lower, cleaned MAF & throttle body & probably more im forgetting.

kjk

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

What are the fuel trims at idle, 2500, and 4000?

S .S.
        Participant

I cant remember off hand, I have my scan tool in the car. I’ll check on my lunch break.

S .S.
          Participant

Nice MGB by the way, I have 2 triumph spitfires & my brother has a 78 MGB.

S .S.
            Participant
              S .S.
              Participant

Sorry the screen has a messed up spot on the scanner, so its tough to get a good angle on it.

Billy AndrewsBilly
                Participant

Those trims are fine; your description kinda sounds like a throttle body issue.

Yeah, the B is nice when it’s in 1 piece like in that pic. Been a while…

S .S.
                  Participant

I cleaned the throttle body with the special cleaner a year ago when I did the intake gaskets. Could it need cleaned again or something else? I did the pcv valve then too so there shouldnt be much build up but you never know.

jamesjames
                    Participant

It could be an intermittent no code misfire. Bank 2 is running lean at idle and rich at 2000 rpm. Could have a failing coil pack or a fuel injector going bad.

Does this concern happen when the vehicle is hot or all the time?

At idle, wiggle test the wire for the coil pack and injectors to rule out a loose connection.

Ohm out the injectors and look for the number that doesn’t match.

Test the coil pack. I believe they are waste-spark coils on the Contour. I cant remember how to test them. A lot of the cars I work on have the coil on plug setup.

Hope this helps

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…