Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Are my Ignition coil specs using multimeter correct?

Are my Ignition coil specs using multimeter correct?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Are my Ignition coil specs using multimeter correct?

• Creator
    Topic
    buddybuddy
    Participant

I tested my coil not sure if my specs came out right. Can someone tell me if I set my meter correctly.

I have an 86 accord lx, 2.0L , 2bbl Keihin carb, 4spd auto, tec distributor.

Honda shop manual ignition coil specs:

Primary winding resistance for terminal A and D:
      1.215-1.485 ohms

Secondary winding resistance for terminal A and secondary winding resistance
      11.074-11.526 ohms

Resistance Between B and D terminal:
      2.200 ohms

Check for continuity between A and C
      ———————————————–
      Mines tested as:

A and D 1.6
      meter was set at 200 ohms

A and secondary 11.91
      meter was set at 20K ohms

B and D 2.17
      meter was set at 20K ohms

Continuity 003

Did I set my meter right? Or was I wrong and got the wrong reading. If it’s not right can someone tell me what numbers it should be set at for each (200, 2000, 20k etc) so I can do it right. Thanks

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Todd SmithTodd Smith
      Participant

Looks about right. What kind of multi-meter are you using?

buddybuddy
        Participant

It’s one of those cheap red ones from Harbor freight. Thanks a heap for answering. I would think on a site like this someone could answer a simple question like mine.

I have another question that you might know the answer to. If not that’s alright. The question is do you know anything about this brand of distributor whether it’s a good brand or not. It’s put out by a company called World Power Systems. Right now I have a reman Cardone that has an internal leak in it I changed the external oring to stop that leak and found I had the internal one now. The Cardone turned out to be a piece of junk. Only lasted 2 and 1/2 years It’s past the warranty. The one by World power is new. Any info would be helpful. Sometimes World Power System is also called WAI. Thanks Tods213

Todd SmithTodd Smith
          Participant

Yeah, those cheap meters are not the most accurate. I’d say your coil is fine.
            As for distributors, nothing really beats OEM. Not sure why the aftermarket consistently can’t seem to get Honda ignition right after all these years. When I was heavy into Honda, we would actually hunt down the seal part number and repair the distributor before buying a new one. If i were you, I would try to source a used Honda distributor and rebuild it. You’ll save a ton of money and it will last a long time. If your distributor was OEM, the internal seal would have an NSK part number on it, problem solved. If cardone rebuilt your unit, a rebuild kit should still work. If your cardone kit is totally new, who knows if a rebuild kit would fit?

buddybuddy
            Participant

I tried to change that seal on my old distributor awhile ago but I found out there are to many internal parts inside of mines. I watched some youtube videos and thought it would be easy to fix that seal. When I opened mines it didn’t look like theirs. There internal parts came out in one big piece. I guess because it was a later model car. Mines has to be taken out piece by piece. I read on a Honda forum most of them just buy another distributor and install it. The fear is not putting it back together right or breaking something. Parts are hard to find for this vinetage Honda. I wish mines was like the later models I would have been done by now. I can do the install myself. Cardone used to be a quailty product back in the day. Now I hear nothing but bad things about them. Now I know why. My original worked all the way up to 2 and 1/2 yrs ago and had that same internal leak and I never had my car have a slow starting problem like with this one. I’m still looking for info the WAI / World Power System distributor is brand new and comes with cap and rotor included. If it’s reliable I’ll buy it.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…