Aftermarket timing belt kits - 1997 Honda Civic HX

More
1 month 6 days ago #201954 by geokini
What is the general opinion on aftermarket timing belt kits ? I am changing mine myself for the first time (1997 Civic HX w/ 283 k - last changed at 140k) and was thinking to use the Nitoma TBK4007 timing belt kit for this job. I priced out OEM parts at about $300 total from online dealers, the Nitoma Kit is about $110. The kit uses all Japanese parts (NPW pump, NSK tensioner, Mitsuboshi belt), so it's not Chinese stuff.

Am I asking for trouble in going this route vs. OEM for such a critical set of components for my car ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
More
1 month 6 days ago - 1 month 6 days ago #201955 by relative4
You want a Mitsuboshi or Gates belt, a Koyo or Nippon Seiko (NSK) or Aisin tensioner, and an Aisin pump.
Last edit: 1 month 6 days ago by relative4.

More
1 month 5 days ago #201957 by geokini
I’m pretty sure Aisin is NOT the way to go for the water pump. The OE manufacturer is a company called “Yamada” which I’ve not seen publicly available . I’m guessing some of the aftermarket companies use a Yamada and re-label it, but need to find out who that is.

The kit I want to get includes a “NPW” (Nissan Pump Works) water pump. Does anyone know if this is actually a Yamada ?

• nightflyr
  • 6th Gear
  • 6th Gear
  • 2002 Nissan Xterra 3.3L 4X4
More
1 month 5 days ago #201961 by nightflyr

More
1 month 5 days ago - 1 month 5 days ago #201964 by geokini
Yes I can source an OEM Yamada from many online distributors. That wasnt what I was looking/asking for.

My question was is the cheaper aftermarket kit water pump made by NPW (Nissan Pump Works) actually a re-branded Yamada ?
Last edit: 1 month 5 days ago by geokini.

Advertisement
  • nightflyr
  • 6th Gear
  • 6th Gear
More
1 month 5 days ago #201967 by nightflyr
Sorry ..
I was was addressing your question:
I’m pretty sure Aisin is NOT the way to go for the water pump.
The OE manufacturer is a company called “Yamada” which I’ve not seen publicly available .

But you are now conflicting your question by stating this...
Yes I can source an OEM Yamada from many online distributors.
FYI,
AISIN is one of many OEM part manufacturers used by Honda
Honda doesn't make their parts. They call upon NSK, NGK, AISIN, BANDO, KEIHIN, NIPPON, DENSO, GATES and many more. American brands like Gates, Japan like Aisin and I believe Nippon is Korean, even as their OEM manufacturers.

More
1 month 5 days ago #201971 by geokini
Is NPW a distributor of Yamada pumps ?

Yamada is indicated as the OEM on Honda parts diagrams for my car.

Much like the AC compressor maker “Sanden”, you cant get a Sanden marked compressor directly. Sanden is the OEM manufacturer some of Honda’s compressors. Aftermarket compressors are advertised as “Sanden style”. Honda gets them from Sanden, however.

More
1 month 5 days ago #201972 by geokini

nightflyr wrote: Sorry ..
I was was addressing your question:
I’m pretty sure Aisin is NOT the way to go for the water pump.
The OE manufacturer is a company called “Yamada” which I’ve not seen publicly available .

But you are now conflicting your question by stating this...
Yes I can source an OEM Yamada from many online distributors.
FYI,
AISIN is one of many OEM part manufacturers used by Honda
Honda doesn't make their parts. They call upon NSK, NGK, AISIN, BANDO, KEIHIN, NIPPON, DENSO, GATES and many more. American brands like Gates, Japan like Aisin and I believe Nippon is Korean, even as their OEM manufacturers.

Not sure how you are reading the posts I made, but just to requote myself about the Yamada water pump:

"The kit I want to get includes a “NPW” (Nissan Pump Works) water pump. Does anyone know if this is actually a Yamada ?"

I didn't ask for where to get a Yamada pump. I wasn't contradicting anything I said. I don't think you read the forum (about 2-3 posts long)

• nightflyr
  • 6th Gear
  • 6th Gear
More
1 month 5 days ago - 1 month 5 days ago #201974 by nightflyr
If I had to guess after a quick google search...
I'd say no.
It appears Yamada is / was their own OEM supplier and NSW is a 3rd party aftermarket manufacturer / supplier.
Haven't seen anything stating that NSW is a rep or distributor or affiliated with or for Yamada.
You can always contact NSW or Yamada customer service and ask directly.

FYI..
I read the entire thread.
If you wish to go inexpensive on critical equipment, you well may be in for an expensive lesson.
Last edit: 1 month 5 days ago by nightflyr.

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds