Menu

Tapping new threads

• Creator
    Topic
    Adrian GallardoAdrian Gallardo
    Participant

Need a little advice on tapping a new thread. I recently started the project to replace my head gaskets and all the gaskets that come with the kit on my 2004 Pontiac grand am 3400 series. Long story short I stripped 2 rocker arm bolt holes and am rethreading them with helicoils. The first one went great. No problems besides being super nervous as this is my first time tapping new threads. Started to do the second hole and as I’m starting to tap the new threads it seems like the threads are going crooked. Could anybody help me or give me tips, advice, anything? Need to get my everyday driver back up amd running. TIA!!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Todd SmithTodd Smith
      Participant

You’re definitely right to be concerned. A misaligned rocker stud can throw your geometry off and lead to all sorts of problems. If you were working on a small block chevy i would tell you to get a rocker tap kit. It bolts to the adjacent rocker stud and keeps you lined up straight. The original small blocks had pressed in studs (as if that would never back out) and most people convert them to threaded. Maybe such a kit would help if there is one for your application.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…