Menu

‘09 Jetta rear crank seal

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here ‘09 Jetta rear crank seal

• Creator
    Topic
    KasraKasra
    Participant

Hey Guys!

So my 2009 Jetta was driving great as always but all of a sudden the whole car started to vibrate like crazy (I know vibrations can only be caused by a certain amount of things) and I wasn’t too worried but I thought I would pull over and get towed. Also, Ibelieved it went into limp mode and the ESC light came on. It was taken to the nearest VW dealership and the dealership told me it was the rear crank seal. The quote they gave me is $1627 (invoice attached), also you’ll notice other recommended repairs. I think I’m going to go to a VW specialized mechanic.

The questions I have regarding this are.
      1. Is this a reasonable price?
      2. If not, what should I expect to pay?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

You will never get a reasonable price from a dealership, nor are you likely to get an accurate diagnosis. For instance, a leaky crank seal will not cause those symptoms.
        Take the car to a trustworthy, reputable, independent German car repair shop.

Todd SmithTodd Smith
        Participant

On a side note: The rear crank seal design, for those motors, was pure junk. VW basically just glued the seal to the rear seal housing. Of course the seal will fail after engine oil, heat and time dissolves the glue. iABED makes an upgraded seal with a traditional pressed in design. Compared to an OEM VW seal, its not even that much more expensive. Have your mechanic check it out. Best of luck!

Dave TidmanDave Tidman
          Participant

Which engine is this (the 2.5 I5 or 3.3 V6)? Manual or automatic?

The only way I can see the ESC system having issues with a seal leak is if the oil is spraying on the clutch and it is slipping. If that is the case, I’m surprised they didn’t also recommend a clutch.

I’d get a second opinion from a reputable independent shop.

KasraKasra
            Participant

Sorry about my last of info. It is the 2.5l and automatic. Yeah i decided to get an second opinion today. Waiting on that. In terms of the rear crank seal, I wouldn’t be surprised if it actually needed it but in terms of the vibration I don’t think it is related. Will keep you updated

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…