Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2005 civic suden failure, cat glowing, wont strat while cranking

2005 civic suden failure, cat glowing, wont strat while cranking

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2005 civic suden failure, cat glowing, wont strat while cranking

• Creator
    Topic
    Mike PateMike Pate
    Participant

Sudden failure, cat glowing, wont run while cranking: 2005 Civic LX 135k miles; I replaced the timing belt, tensioner,waterpump, cam position sensor, crank position sensor, reset valves, replaced hoses, belts, spark plugs at 110k miles, 1 year ago All was well until 2 months ago when the exhaust manifold cracked. That was replaced by a mechanic. 4 days ago, the car died while running (after filling up: coincidence?) The cat was glowing. It now won’t start while cranking. It only briefly surges (1/2 second) and sounds loud during the surge. CAT/exhaust manifold likely broken. NO OBD2 CODES. I don’t doubt the full service I did at 110k miles. I’m good at being exact with manual’s procedures. But I’ll check timing all the same. What are likely suspects that I might focus on? Stuck injectors? Bad Cam pos sensor (regardless fairly new/no OBD2 code)? bad computer? Any suggested links for testing suspect components? No OBD2 codes really bothers me. Thanks!
      Mike Pate

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

Causes of glowing cat are super-rich mixture and clogged cat. In your case, sounds like a badly clogged cat. You could remove the cat and see if the car starts.

Mike PateMike Pate
        Participant

Thanks Relative4: I’ll have it on a lift to try that Monday

Mike PateMike Pate
          Participant

So, I removed the cat/manifold and tried starting the car to see if it would idle at all (with both cat sensors hooked up, dangling). The engine still would not run except for perhaps a half second. The engine side of the cat had a great deal of carbon build up on the honeycomb. I’m concerned about the computer now. Is there an engine scan tool that can advise about injector/ignition timing in real time?

Billy AndrewsBilly
            Participant

There are a zillion standalone and Android tools that can do that, but that’s mostly for running cars. Do you definitely not have any codes? If not, start with the basics. Given the red cat, you definitely have fuel. A sticking injector can cause this, but your symptoms sound more like bad spark. Check that out, then backtrack to fuel.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…