Menu

07 Silverado 6.0 Low oil pressure

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 07 Silverado 6.0 Low oil pressure

• Creator
    Topic
    Ryan PetrukovichRyan Petrukovich
    Participant

have an 07 silverado 3500 with the 6.0 vortec. truck was occasionally throwing the “low oil pressure” warning at startup, but would usually go away. Now it is much worse. it will stay on for much longer almost until the truck is fully warmed up. thought sender might be bad as is common but gauge is actually working so figured it was fine.

pulled sender and installed mech gauge. truck has around 18 idle psi when cold and as you raise rpm oil pressure DECREASES to around 5psi. when hot it is idling around 28 psi and oil pressure INCREASES with RPM maxes around 35 psi.

now this is very odd as you would think cold oil is thicker = higher pressure. im assuming there is build up or something on the pickup cause low oil pressure when the oil is thick. is this my next move or any other suggestions? thanks.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

Your pickup theory is sound. You don’t want to risk an escalation of symptoms; I’d pull that pan ASAP. If the pickup is not clogged or cracked, I’d go ahead and pull the pump as well; the relief valve is another possibility, and I believe it’s built into the pump assembly.

Todd SmithTodd Smith
        Participant

I’m not sure if it was 2007 or 2008 when GM added the screen filter behind the oil pressure sender. It clogs up easily. When you had the sender out, did you see a screen down in the hole? If so, did you remove and clean it?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…