97 civic idle surge

• Quinn996
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #201731 by Quinn996
97 civic idle surge was created by Quinn996
So after a headgasket job I now have idle surge. I have checked over everything for vac leaks, bled cooling system, idle relearn. No vac leaks detected. I also did cam timing. I also replaced IM gasket with felpro and noticed the copper ring for coolant inlet was on the egr port. I was going to return it but then noticed on the paper insert it stated due to materials that the egr port only required it so I installed it. Could this be the reason for surge? I didn't detect any coolant or air leaks around the IM. Haven't reset ignition timing yet but code reader indicates timing appears to be good. No cel. Idles steady but high at 1k until I give it throttle then surges 2 or 3 times between 1500 and 2k before settling back at 1k. Also cleaned up iacv. Need help figuring out
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Quinn996.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #201732 by relative4
Replied by relative4 on topic 97 civic idle surge
How did you bleed the coolant?

• Quinn996
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #201734 by Quinn996
Replied by Quinn996 on topic 97 civic idle surge
Did the bleed procedure from etcg and others. Used a funnel in radiator neck though and not the spill free. Ran car through several cycles of fan coming on.

• Quinn996
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #201735 by Quinn996
And noticing no more air bubbles

• Quinn996
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #201737 by Quinn996
So unplugged iacv and idle stops bouncing and high idle. Settles back down under 1k. Will have to throw reader on it for actual value. How do I determine if iacv is truly the issue or if something else is amiss that is causing ecu to command it engaging and disengaging. Could ignition timing since I haven't set it be a potential cause? After unplugging I drove it this morning. Following a difficult startup due to the temps this morning noticed that if I held rpm at 1500 it would still surge a bit below or above no surge. While driving with IACV unplugged any abrupt inputs from throttle were jerky, same went for letting off throttle. If it tried to increase steadily or release steadily it was smoother. I have been trying to get a timing light but nobody around here rents them.
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Quinn996. Reason: adding additional data

Advertisement
  • Quinn996
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #201738 by Quinn996
What could cause iacv to start acting up following this repair? It wasn't messed with as I left everything connected to intake and just moved it back against firewall taking care not to pinch wires or hoses. I had no idle issues prior to headgasket and IM gasket repairs.

• Quinn996
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #201828 by Quinn996
In the process of doing ignition timing I was hearing a hiss. Upon further inspection I found a vacuum line for the cruise control that hooks to bottom of intake was off. That was my issue, no more bouncing idle. Hope this helps someone else.

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds