78 Dodge B200 Totally DEAD!

More
1 month 1 day ago #201592 by North
78 Dodge B200 Totally DEAD! was created by North
Hello Yall, The Creature...A chopped 78 Dodge B200 with 360 Engine and an A727 Tranny, is as dead as if it had no battery in it,,,Not a sound when you turn the key! No, it is not the battery, I tried two fully charged batteries with the same results, Initially the engine did turn for a second, but a total nothing, not even the shameless "click" sound! I did check the ground, and cleaned it real good, I also checked the fuses. Also replaced the resister, and the ICM next to the resistor...What am I missing...Yall???

Would a bad starter do that? What about a bad ignition harness? I just don't want to through parts at it hoping to get lucky? What tests can I do?

Thank you so much for your help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
  • relative4
  • Away
  • 6th Gear
  • 6th Gear
More
1 month 1 day ago #201593 by relative4
Replied by relative4 on topic 78 Dodge B200 Totally DEAD!
If you have voltage at the starter, pull the starter and get it tested. If not, work back to the relay, etc.

More
1 month 1 day ago #201594 by North
Replied by North on topic 78 Dodge B200 Totally DEAD!
Thank you for the Tip Sir

More
1 week 5 days ago #201829 by North
So far I have replaced the following components with ZERO results:

Starter
Resister
Ignition control Unit
Ignition switch
I tried a different ground spot on the frame

Still dead, no lights on the dashboard, the battery is showing 12.66 Volts, which is good! Also checked all the fuses!

I'll try a brand new ground cable tomorrow along with a different Solenoid (the one on the firewall)

Any other suggestions?

• relative4
  • Away
  • 6th Gear
  • 6th Gear
More
1 week 5 days ago #201831 by relative4
A suggestion, and a question.
Suggestion: stop blowing your money on random parts.
Question: is there voltage at the starter?

Advertisement
More
1 week 4 days ago #201834 by North
Thank you for your reply Sir. Yes, I do get voltage at the starter (11.65 V). The reason why I replaced the starter was because when I took it to get it tested, they said it tripped their breaker and they suggested to replace it. The other components I replaced were all under warranty, so my cost was very minimum
Note:
I just replaced the battery's ground cable, but made no difference, so that's something else eliminated!

Not really sure where to go from here!

• relative4
  • Away
  • 6th Gear
  • 6th Gear
More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #201835 by relative4
Sorry, I was vague about the voltage at the starter. That 11.65 volts, is that at the full-time hot starter connection, or the switched solenoid connection? I was asking about the switched solenoid connection, when the starter switch is engaged. If you have voltage at the solenoid and nothing happens, you have a bad solenoid / starter, or a damaged/loose/corroded main cable from the battery, or a bad main ground. If you have only 11.65 volts at the full-time hot starter connection, that's a potential problem - I would expect to see the full 12.4 there if you have a good battery and wiring.
Last edit: 1 week 4 days ago by relative4.

More
1 week 4 days ago #201837 by North
11.65 was the full-time hot starter connection. I swapped the battery with another one I had on the charger for the last 3 weeks (800CCA) and when I turned the ignition on, I heard a few clicks (seemed to be coming from the starter area), then nothing. When I put the original battery back on the charger, it was fully charged within 10 minutes which indicated it was to the right charge while it was in the Dodge!
I'll try a different starter Solenoid, I think I have an extra one and will report back ASAP

Thank you so much for all your tips

• relative4
  • Away
  • 6th Gear
  • 6th Gear
More
1 week 4 days ago #201840 by relative4
If you have 12.4 at the battery and only 11.65 at the starter, it sounds like you have a bad main connection between the battery and the starter. That's a huge voltage drop for a 2 gauge cable.

More
1 week 3 days ago #201846 by North
Definitely a good point...As old as that thing is, it is amazing anything still works!

Advertisement
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds