2008 Nissan Qashqai rear bake mystery, need help.

More
4 days 14 hours ago #201511 by Drack
Hello everyone,
I have a puzzle for you guy. I have a 2008 Nissan Qashqai 1.6 petrol FWD. Had it since new. The drivers side rear brake disk is heating and no one knows the reason why. The disk gets so hot that you cant even touch it. The right side is fine. I had my disks, break pads, hand brake pads and cable, wheel bearing changed and the caliper rebuilt, but still nothing. 3 mechanics have checked the car and nothing seems to be bad. The disk looks nice, the pads move freely, the hand brake pads are OK. Master cylinder looks good, fluid has been changed ~2 years ago, levels are fine. Breaking is very strong, no jittering, the car drives in a straight line and breaks just as straight. The wheel bearing was changed yesterday and some knocking sound started. I did pull the hand brake and it seemed to end it. I drove ~ 40-50 km since then and the sound has not come back ever since. Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
  • nightflyr
  • Away
  • 6th Gear
  • 6th Gear
  • 2002 Nissan Xterra 3.3L 4X4
More
4 days 12 hours ago #201515 by nightflyr
I would first look at the FSM and ensure the original repair / replacements of the brakes were done correctly.
Personally I do 98% of my own work, I don't really trust shop mechanics.
I had a large service shop swear to me I needed a new BCM ( $700.00 + labor) for my brothers vehicle.
I tracked it down to a faulty ground.

If you find the repairs are correct...
My next thought would be a faulty flex hose possibly collapsing during operation and keeping the brake engaged.

More
4 days 12 hours ago #201516 by Drack
The brake job has been checked two times, tree if you count the caliper rebuild. It is possible that the job was done poorly, however 3 different mechanics, including the one from the official Nissan dealer, did not notice anything wrong.

The car is in the shop now and they said they will do a decent test drive, and maybe even strip everything down to see if something is wrong. Thanks for the tip with the flex cable. :)

Time to create page: 0.277 seconds