• abelbarraza3
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
2 months 1 week ago #201497 by abelbarraza3
2016 Chevy Cruz Limited p0171 code was created by abelbarraza3
Hello,
New to the the site here so I am hoping I put this in the write forum. My 2016 chevy cruz limted lt has popped a p0171 code after coming back from a road trip. I noticed this whistling sounds coming from the engine area so I took it to the dealership. They advised the valve cover gasket is leaking. I thought that sounded right since it is whistling and their is oil you can see spilling. I went to a second dealership to do the repair. When the second dealership started doing the repair they called me. They Advised i would need an intake manifold replacement because they noticed a missing pcv valve which was pulling to much fuel vapor. They're quoting me at $561 for that. They are also stating i need a new purge valve since it is stuck open which they are charging me another $140. They mentioned as well that i need to replace the valve cover and not just the gasket because the vent valve on the valve cover is stuck open because of too much pressure from PCV valve failure...... My question is does the second dealership stating i need to replace these items sound right? My car is running a little rough lately with that whistling noise but I have noticed like an underboost. Sometimes when i step on the gas pedal the car refuses to accelerate until 2-3 seconds later then it like launches. When i am in idle the car RPM do dip and it does this like shaking thing where it sounds like its going to turn off but then acts fine repeatedly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
  • relative4
  • Away
  • 6th Gear
  • 6th Gear
More
2 months 1 week ago #201499 by relative4
Replied by relative4 on topic 2016 Chevy Cruz Limited p0171 code
The moral of this story is never take your car to a dealership for non-warranty repairs. Take it to a reputable, trustworthy independent repair shop. Doubtless there is a substantial element of truth to everything the dealership is telling you. However, they will replace parts that can be repaired, overcharge you for said parts, and charge more for labor than an indy shop will. Also, dealerships tend to have poor diagnostic skills, as their economics provide them with an incentive toward parts-swapping rather than proper diagnosis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds