Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Put Motorkote in my 01 Honda CRV rear diff will it help? hinder? disaster?

Put Motorkote in my 01 Honda CRV rear diff will it help? hinder? disaster?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Put Motorkote in my 01 Honda CRV rear diff will it help? hinder? disaster?

• Creator
    Topic
    David HarrisonDavid Harrison
    Participant

Hi there, first post. A couple weeks ago I put 1.5oz of motorkote in my rear diff when I changed the dual pump fluid out because it was making noise.

I just saw a video by ETCG and in passing he mentioned on how the dual pump fluid viscosity works with the diff to engage the rear wheels and I’m afraid I might have screwed something up. Considering I’m driving up the Alcan to Anchorage Alaska in a week I’m REALLY going to need a fully functioning 4WD system going up the road.

I’m out of the dual pump fluid that I bought from Amazon, and the local Autozone & O’reilly parts store dont stock it. I’m in a time crunch, if I need to replace it I need to order it today to get here on time for my Saturday departure.

Any advice? I’m a poor-at-best mechanic so any guidance would be really appreciated.

Dave

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      David HarrisonDavid Harrison
      Participant

Did some more reading, the answer is disaster – but not from a viscosity thing.

From what I read the rear diff works by having two opposed hydraulic pumps, as long as all 4 wheels are spinning at the same rate the pumps cancel each other out. If the front wheels start spinning there is a pressure imbalance which opens a valve which engages a wet clutch that sends power to the wheels.

The problem is because motorkote is a friction reducer and with a wet clutch it’ll slip and not get the power to the wheels where I need it. Motorkote themselves say to only use a very small amount in wet clutches and I’ve way exceeded that amount.

So I ordered the DPF from Amazon and I’ll be changing it out as soon as it gets here, at least I still have a lifetime supply of diff crush washers and the bottle pump.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…