Brake Pedal goes to floor

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #201428 by kjw4369
Brake Pedal goes to floor was created by kjw4369
I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota 3.7, rear anti-locks. My brake pedal goes to the floor, almost. I have replaced the master cylinder, brake booster & front pads. and replaced the bleeder screws. Front discs are at 24.75, min. is 24.50. Back drums are adjusted properly. What else could be the cause of the brake pedal going to the floor. Before I go any further, can you give me a direction to go. If it is the rwal module, can it be replaced by a dyier? Rear shoes are getting close to be replaced, but still have some life to them. I have no abs light or engine light on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
  • nightflyr
  • 6th Gear
  • 6th Gear
  • 2002 Nissan Xterra 3.3L 4X4
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #201437 by nightflyr
Replied by nightflyr on topic Brake Pedal goes to floor
Being that you've open the system up to atmosphere, my first thought is air with in the system.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #201438 by Duval_Mopar
Replied by Duval_Mopar on topic Brake Pedal goes to floor
Spongey brake pedal indicates air is still in the lines. What condition are the hydraulic brakes lines and brakes hoses? Is it possible there’s a hole, damage, or rust causing line failure? Also, how did you bleed the lines when you swapped out the MC? I’ve worked on several vehicles where you literally have to bang on the calipers and drum cylinders to loosen any trapped air - during brake bleeding.
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Duval_Mopar. Reason: Edit:a word

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #201442 by kjw4369
Replied by kjw4369 on topic Brake Pedal goes to floor
the original reason for me replacing the fore mentioned parts, was because of the pedal going to the floor, that is the problem. Every part I have replaced, has not changed the original problem, pedal going to the floor.

• nightflyr
  • 6th Gear
  • 6th Gear
  • 2002 Nissan Xterra 3.3L 4X4
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #201443 by nightflyr
Replied by nightflyr on topic Brake Pedal goes to floor
The issue may be that you corrected the cause of the original problem but in the process recreated it.
There is also a possibility one or more of the rubber hoses could be an issue.

Advertisement
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #201444 by kjw4369
Replied by kjw4369 on topic Brake Pedal goes to floor
Thanks, I'll check the rubber hoses

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #201445 by cfarber2688
Replied by cfarber2688 on topic Brake Pedal goes to floor
when you replaced the master did you bleed it before you put it in because your suppose to bench bleed it first. then bleed the whole system after that. you would start with bleeding the abs system. then go to the right rear and bleed that one. next the left rear. then the right front after that the left front. if still have a no pedal try opening the bleed screw and have someone press the brake pedal to the floor and hold while you tighten it back up. that usually works for the garage i work for.

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds