Menu

’05 Scion tC P0012

• Creator
    Topic
    Brian BargayBrian Bargay
    Participant

So I have an ’05 Scion tC that started having problems recently. Bought a scanner since I needed one, and found way more codes than I expected. I suspect there’s one, maybe 2 issues that are causing them all. Anyways, it was running fine, then it stalled on me at a stop sign. Started back up, but was immediately running rough. Fluctuating idle, wanting to stall. Drove it into a parking lot in front of the comms shop here on base, and parked it. Again it started, then I drove it back to my parking structure and right as I’m pulling in my space, it dies. Didn’t try starting it. Side note, it has an oil leak. The shop said it was from the timing chain cover but I haven’t double checked it to verify that. Here are the codes.

P0455, P0012, P0441, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0016.

This isn’t caused by my timing chain or anything is it? From what I can tell and what I’ve been reading, it could the the oil screen, OCV, or VVTi solenoid. Any suggestions?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

P0455
        Possible causes :
        Missing or loose fuel cap
        Incorrect fuel filler cap used
        Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
        Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
        EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks
        EVAP system hose leaking Fuel tank leaking

This diagnosis detects leaks in the Evaporative Emission System (EVAP) purge line using engine intake manifold vacuum. If pressure does not increase, the Engine Control Module (ECM) will check for leaks in the line between the fuel tank and EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve under the following vacuum test condition. The vacuum cut valve bypass valve is opened to clear the line between the fuel tank and the EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve. The EVAP canister vent control valve will then be closed to shut the EVAP purge line off. The EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve is opened to depressurize the EVAP purge line using intake manifold vacuum. After this depressurization is implemented, the EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve will be closed. OBDII Code P0455 Scion – EVAP System Gross Leak Detected –

P0441
        Possible causes:
        Missing Fuel cap
        Incorrect fuel filler cap used
        Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
        Purge VSV Connector/wire harness(purge VSV -ECM) ECM
        Canister pump module
        Leakage from EVAP system

P0012
        Scion Description The Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the Oil Control Valve (OCV) to regulate the intake camshaft angle. As a result of the angle change, the engine timing is advance or retard. Optimizing engine timing will help the engine improve torque and fuel economy, and the exhaust emissions decrease under overall driving conditions. The Variable Valve Timing (VVT) system includes the Oil Control Valve (OCV) and VVT controller. The ECM detects the actual intake valve timing using signals from the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors, and performs feedback control.

Possible causes:
        Low or Dirty Engine Oil
        Faulty variable valve timing (VVT)
        Faulty oil control valve (OCV)
        Variable Valve Timing (VVT) harness is open or shorted
        Oil Control Valve (OCV) harness circuit is open or shorted Damaged ECM

The remaining codes are cylinder misfires

cj1cj1
        Participant

Disconnect the VVTi solenoid.,
          Does it run ok at idle?

Brian BargayBrian Bargay
          Participant

Thanks for the info! I’m gonna check the OCV to see if it has a hand in this

Brian BargayBrian Bargay
            Participant

Where’s the VVTi Solenoid located at?

Participant
                Brian BargayBrian Bargay
                Participant

I’m pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff sometimes, but I’m too cheap (broke) to pay a mechanic to do it, so I’ve gotta do it myself.

https://www.autocodes.com/p0016_scion.html

This is telling me the P0016 code causes my timing to retard. Is it safe to assume that’s causing the P0012 code as well, along with all the misfire codes? It seems logical to me, but I’m also barely an amateur mechanic. Also, when I get the chance to check my vehicle out this weekend, what’s this OCV look like from the outside? How difficult is it to get to?
                  I’m *technically* not supposed to work on vehicles in the parking lot/structure here on base, but honestly if I can get it done quick enough I could justify it. If not, I have to attempt to start it and keep it from dying long enough to drive the roughly 2 miles to the auto hobby center on base.

Brian BargayBrian Bargay
                  Participant

Also, I have an oil leak. I attempted to use some additive to the oil that claimed to seal it up. When I poured it in, I noticed the viscosity of the fluid was kinda thick but the drip of it was almost like melted rubber. Maybe that’s the wrong way to describe it, but if you’ve attempted to use an oil leak sealer I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. What’s the likelihood of this sealer messing up/clogging either the OCV or the oil screen for the valve on my car?

Participant

These should help:

You might also look at this:

This is telling me the P0016 code causes my timing to retard. Is it safe to assume that’s causing the P0012 code as well, along with all the misfire codes?
                      It’s possible but never assume, that could be a costly error.

Also, I have an oil leak. I attempted to use some additive to the oil that claimed to seal it up. When I poured it in, I noticed the viscosity of the fluid was kinda thick but the drip of it was almost like melted rubber. Maybe that’s the wrong way to describe it, but if you’ve attempted to use an oil leak sealer I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. What’s the likelihood of this sealer messing up/clogging either the OCV or the oil screen for the valve on my car?
                      Engine repair mechanic in a can is more often than not more trouble and grief than properly repairing the original issue.
                      That being said, there is a very good possibility that may have caused your trouble.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…