Battery Test Results. Good or Bad?

• recutright
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #201365 by recutright
Battery Test Results. Good or Bad? was created by recutright
I had tested a battery at Advance Auto and the test results said it was a GOOD BATTERY but the store manager said it was a BAD battery. and yes, i did use the search bar on here, google, and youtube and still havent found the answer. so lets start with the Tester. it is a midtronics EXP 1200 i believe. The battery tested at 12.65 volts. it is also rated at 730 CCA. the ODD part is that it measured 6,484 CCA. The store manager said that it was actually a "false positive" kind of reading and that it was actually a overcharged battery and that it was the battery that was bad (not the alternator). i have actually come across this kind of thing 3 times now and i dont like telling customers their battery is bad just because my manager said so. Today i had another battery test that measured 1652 CCA on a battery that was rated to have 530 CCA. the alternator test showed that the alt was fine with a 14.3VDC and a normal diode ripple. that customer was complaning that today was the 5th day in a row that she had to get her 2014 Chevy Equinox jump started and wanted to know why? After i saw the test results i tried to explain what my manager had told me but it still didnt sit right with me not knowing what i was talking about. so my next step was to go back through the advance training videos and see if there was something i had missed before, and still no help. My question is, can someone explain to me why a battery conductance tester like midtronics would measure 6,484 CCA and still give me a GOOD BATTERY result?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
More
6 months 1 week ago #201418 by cfarber2688
Replied by cfarber2688 on topic Battery Test Results. Good or Bad?
i know what you mean about that i had a guy come to the shop i work at today because advance said that his alternator was over charging his battery. so i tested it with a battery tester we got from snap on and it was fine battery tested a little under cca and alternator was charging at 14 volts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: recutright

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds