Menu

Solved !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Solved !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Creator
    Topic
    Ken EzzellKen Ezzell
    Participant

Ford Taurus 95′ v6 3.0 SOHC New to me… will only crank using starting fluid. then runs smooth

I have done a lot of diagnostics on it( i have fuel and vac gage kits and meters) Im no spring chicken when it comes to cars… PLEASE HELP

My original posting here

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/kunena/8-Service-and-Repair-Questions-Answered-Here/55648-update-bringing-a-1995-taurus-back-to-life

I cant seem to get the codes to flash…ive done it by the book and online vids…but nothing

There is fuel pressure, 40psi, when KOEO and 34 after Started with either. And runs pretty smooth for 150k. the spark plugs are clean and gapped. I replaced the fuel pressure reg and inline filter.

One thing that is nagging me is that the fuel pressure dose not jump up by 10 as the book says it should when vac line is remove…it some time jumps by 5 bt some times not at all.

Vacuum is with in range and is close to being steady. Im not sure about the EGR valve…. that vac line has very little pull on it. When i pull vac by hand pump on the EGR, the rmps go way down. Is this normal?

What bugs me is how can the engine start with starting fluid by not by the cars fuel, bt yet run good on it after it is started.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

fuel pressure has to jump up when the vac line is removed
        on the FPR. sounds like the FPR is faulty.
        You could have FP and not volume. Is there a return line
        you can pinch off to see if fuel pressure goes up?

college mancollege man

When you turn the car off does FP stay constant or drop off?

Ken EzzellKen Ezzell
          Participant

Yea… Ii did this test… I replaced the FPR with a bran new one, no change. Some times it jumps up by 5 but sometimes its no change…. What the chances the new is faulty?

Ken EzzellKen Ezzell
            Participant

The fuel pressure very slowly drops off….over a 20 min period… I figured this is normal. Is it

college mancollege man

[quote=”shadetreemechanicnotree” post=123979]Yea… Ii did this test… I replaced the FPR with a bran new one, no change. Some times it jumps up by 5 but sometimes its no change…. What the chances the new is faulty?[/quote]

Its a good possibility. Does fuel pressure drop off when the car
                is off or does it hold where it was?

Ken EzzellKen Ezzell
                Participant

it holds with a very small leak down over 20 mins

college mancollege man

[quote=”shadetreemechanicnotree” post=123980]The fuel pressure very slowly drops off….over a 20 min period… I figured this is normal. Is it[/quote]

It should drop 5-7 psi no more. If its dropping off then FP is suspect.
                    Is the a return line you could clamp off. This will tell you if the regulator
                    is leaking or the fp.

college mancollege man

If you still have the FP tester. You can take a jar and crank
                      the engine a half pint of fuel should fill in approx 15 seconds.

Ken EzzellKen Ezzell
                      Participant

Ive found that if i Hang my FP gauge up it gives better readdings….i think the readings are now a bit suspect to at or near min.

So i had the car cut off for 20 mins now, not much leak down….may 3psi

the return line is a hard plastic line covered by soft hose… will pinching off this hose dammage it?

Ken EzzellKen Ezzell
                        Participant

i’ll try that soon….

college mancollege man

[quote=”shadetreemechanicnotree” post=123989]i’ll try that soon….[/quote]

Keep us posted on your progress. 🙂

hellohello
                            Participant

any chance you have the fuel filter on backwards? What happens if you cycle the key from off to run about 5 times then try to start? Sure there is no leaks at all? Coolant temp sensor reading correctly? You say the fuel pump wines in and out I believe you have a issue with the fuel pump assembly.

Ken EzzellKen Ezzell
                              Participant

Filter is on right..with arrow to front. Ill try the cycle of key on – off, The coolant temp sensor may be defective as the temp gauge does not move,

I have suspected the FPump from the beginning but with 40 psi at key on and 32-34 when running and 160 bucks replacement, I have tried to find another issue….

hellohello
                                Participant

During a cold start the PCM would get a signal from the ect to retard the spark timing and run the engine’s fuel mixture slightly richer to help compensate for cold conditions. It is possible that the coolant temp sensor is not reading right and that is your issue with starting when cold. look into this first.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                                  Participant

I would only pinch a rubber hose.

At start the computer knows air in and only assumes fuel pressure is correct. The computer commands open the injectors the amount of time to release the correct amount of fuel at that assumed correct pressure. If pressure is not correct the injectors produce a different than correct amount of fuel causing the engine to not achieve a correct mixture for start. Since you can start the engine with starter fluid I guess pressure is low.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…