Menu

2001 Civic no heat

• Creator
    Topic
    Vlad2Vlad2
    Participant

The Wife’s 2001 Honda Civic has no to little heat. Tonight with it being so cold, currently 17 degrees F and dropping it has none. I blew out the heater core and saw very little come out of the catch bottle. Cleaned it out with distilled water and it was clean as it can be. Used my spill proof funnel (thanks for the recommendation in your videos, the thing has been passed our my office whenever somebody is doing coolant work) and let it burp out for 30 min so it filled and no rough idle. No leaks.

It took the better part of half a gallon, i lost some when I Pulled the hoses of the engine, and seemed to be burped. The Top hose is a bit warm to the touch, but like, It would gently warm my hand on a cold night. The bottom hose reminds me of the heart of my ex, stone cold.

I also reached back and felt the hoses into the heater core, both are cool to the touch.

So could this be a thermostat issue? or something else that the cold winter is hiding.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

First thing, is the engine reaching operation temperature?
        If not .. your thermostat may be stuck open.

Vlad2Vlad2
        Participant

yea, that is my thought, now I just need to get an OEM honda thermostat, I am seeing nightmares with non-oem units.

Vlad2Vlad2
          Participant

i replaced the thermostat and now its the same. warms up correctly, but I get initially great heat and then it fades…. could it be the heater valve, that is all I can think of…

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
            Participant

Possible.
              You can use a infrared thermal gun, see what the inlet temp Vs the outlet temp of heater control valve.

hondaguy453hondaguy453
              Participant

Did it seem like the coolant that you drained before removing the heater core was more than half a gallon?

I’m sure it’s crazy cold over there still, so do your cooling fans ever come on? Do they seem like they engage more than they should since it is so cold?

Vlad2Vlad2
                Participant

Eh, it was about half a gallon, it was about that to refill it. the catch pan had a little over 2 liters so, yea. half a gallon. It was in the 50s F when I worked on it, we are in a bit of a warm front this week. This morning it was in the 30’s and she had good steady heat going to work, so maybe it just needed to settle.. For 20 bucks I bought the heater valve, I’ll have it in the garage for brakes anyway.

I flushed this system out about 6 years ago, what I drained out was pretty clean for the age. I am just flushing the system now a half gallon at a time. 🙂

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…