Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Transmission third gear high RPM no power

Transmission third gear high RPM no power

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Transmission third gear high RPM no power

• Creator
    Topic
    alexalex
    Participant

1993 gmc 1500 216k miles, automatic transmission

First and second gear get me going but third gear has no power and I’m unsure about my fourth gear. While I’m driving on the interstate and start to go up hill, my truck just can’t handle it. I’d say about 20degrees is when it starts to lose speed and my truck doesn’t seem to have the power to get up it. https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-unknown&ei=xLpPXP7zOIfr_QbOsaywCQ&q=15+degree+angle&oq=15+degree+angle&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.3..0i67j0j0i67j0l2.4164.10691..11103…3.0..1.336.1265.2j6j0j1……0….1………0i71j0i7i30j0i131i67j0i13.zz1PrlHoqvo

It will shift down to third and the RPM will go up normally but with no increase in power. It will then downshift to second gear where I finally get power to make it up hill.

Any ideas?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave TidmanDave Tidman
      Participant

What does your fluid look like? I’m wondering if the 3rd gear clutches are wearing out. Does it feel like it is slipping or just loss of drive?

alexalex
        Participant

I actually changed it about 2k miles ago. It was the normal dark reddish color from being old and worn, Not black or gunky. I don’t remember how it performed before I changed it. I assume it was still the same. If I need to replace clutch packs then it’s a good time for a rebuild then.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…