Menu

should i change my trans fluid

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here should i change my trans fluid

• Creator
    Topic
    wesley pyburnwesley
    Participant

i have an 89 gmc r3500 that i believe has around 300000 miles but not sure because of the odometer only shows 5 digits.ive had it about 6 years now havent put alot of miles on it.should i change filter and fluid or leave it?ive read if it hasnt been change in a while and you change it it will ruin the trans.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

If it hasn’t been changed in the last 100K miles, then don’t change it.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
        Participant

This is always a tricky one, but
          Agree..
          If it hasn’t been changed or serviced according to MFG recommendations, you may cause yourself issues.

hondaguy453hondaguy453
          Participant

If you do replace it, just throw a bunch of sawdust in. Lol, jay k.

Seriously though, it’s a risk if you don’t know how it was maintained. The reason it is risky is because the clutch disc material that has broken down inside of the fluid is the only reason the tranny is shifting. Once you drain the fluid, the material goes with it and the clutch discs have nothing to grab the metal discs and it doesn’t go anywhere haha. I would remove the dipstick and rub the fluid in my fingers to see if it’s gritty. If it’s super gritty, I wouldn’t drain the fluid. If it’s pretty clean, then I might drain it. It’s up to you though.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…