Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • ’05 F150 4.6L Auto Trans No Crank, No Start

’05 F150 4.6L Auto Trans No Crank, No Start

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here ’05 F150 4.6L Auto Trans No Crank, No Start

• Creator
    Topic
    hondaguy453hondaguy453
    Participant

The original concern was that the truck would slip gears between 2nd and 3rd. The accelerator would have to be fluttered in order for the gear to engage again. This happened while trying merging on the freeway. After fill up at a gas station the truck wouldn’t start and my cousin attempted to start it 3 times before it fired up.

Now, I found that the digital transmission range sensor was faulty. The branch marked #6 is supposed to allow the truck to be fired up in park, but I found that it had an open. The mark on the DTR that’s supposed to match up with the mark on the tranny was also off, so I figured this is what was causing the trans slipping issue and the no crank, no start issue. I replaced the DTR and the truck started in park, so we test drove it and although the shifting sequence was better, it was definitely not fixed. It would shift from first to second smoothly, but it would not shift out of second. We returned home and I adjusted the DTR once again to check if it was misaligned, but it was on correctly. After the adjustment I went to start it, and boom, wouldn’t start in park again. And this is where I am now lol. I’m stumped. I’m maybe looking into the shift cable now.

My question is, if anyone has had this issue and during the installation of the new DTR, did it also fail? I really think it’s the shift cable that made the first one fail, but I’m trying to figure why the cable would do that, and how.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      none nonenone
      Participant

Range sensor problems don’t sound like a normal 4R75 fault to me. A good next step is to just see if it’ll start in neutral. Fords are awesome at crapping out starters all over the place. If you have a good scan tool, you could probably find a start request PID somewhere and see if it’s allowing the start or not. That might point out your next direction for you.

hondaguy453hondaguy453
        Participant

Haha, I like your user name! I just wanted to give you an update. I’ve deemed that the range sensor is working as designed because it starts in park intermittently. I’ve narrowed it down to the shift lever cable, so I went ahead and ordered it.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…