Menu

Squealing AC Compressor

• Creator
    Topic
    JuniorJunior
    Participant

My AC compressor squeals very loudly every now and then when i start it up early in the morning but if i turn the AC compressor on when im driving nothing happens should i be concerned about the squealing?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Rahul JonesRahul Jones
      Participant

It might just be the belt itself slipping. Check if the belt is worn and if it uses an automatic tensioner then check the tensioner too. If it has a manual tensioner then adjust the tensioner.

JuniorJunior
        Participant

is it possible that the bearing on the ac compressor has gone bad?

Rahul JonesRahul Jones
          Participant

Yes, even a bad bearing can cause noise. You might need to check the idler and/or tensioner pulley bearings too. At times the noise on these come when the further load like this AC compressor is added.

JuniorJunior
            Participant

So i replaced the belt and sure enough the noise went away but now it feels like it’s running very rough and the AC light keeps blinking now. I feel like the belt has enough tension but now the light comes on. Since the AC compressor no longer squeals can i rule out a bearing? ( i have also been told that it might be the magnetic relay switch now) if all else fail i will just purchase a new AC compressor

Rahul JonesRahul Jones
              Participant

When the AC light blinks does your AC Compressor Clutch disengage? If so, also check if there is power going to it while it disengages.

JuniorJunior
                Participant

Yes it does disengage i dont know about the power thing? I also had a mechanic inspect the AC compressor today and he said it was running fine except he noted it might need a little more Refrigerant

One more thing we noticed today was that if i turn the AC on with the engine off it will squeal but if the engine is running and i turn it on it won’t squeal?

Billy AndrewsBilly
                  Participant

[quote=”juniortsf” post=201252]if i turn the AC on with the engine off it will squeal but if the engine is running and i turn it on it won’t squeal?[/quote]

If the engine is not running, it is impossible for the AC compressor to make any noise. Do you mean the HVAC blower in the dashboard?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…