Menu

2000 forester fuel gauge issues

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2000 forester fuel gauge issues

• Creator
    Topic
    ivwshaneivwshane
    Participant

Hello,

First off, thanks for all the great videos!

I’ve got a 2000 Subaru forester that I bought used. For as long as I’ve had it the fuel gauge has never been accurate. It would register correctly when full but when on empty the gauge would show half a tank.

Not know what exactly the problem is, I decided to buy a used fuel assembly from a local pic n’pull. After installing both the left and right fuel assemblies, the gauge now registers 3/4’s as full and and maybe around 1/4 as empty.

What’s the proper way to troubleshoot or test the old and “new” parts?

I did have trouble installing the passenger side assembly and I’m wondering if the float is getting caught up on something.

Thanks!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ivwshaneivwshane
      Participant

I’m still dealing with this issue but I did have time to do some troubleshooting.

I measured the resistance of each sending unit and got the following:

Drivers side unit:
        Max empty = 41.6 (ohms?)
        Max full =1.7

Passenger side unit:
        Max empty =49.2
        Max full =1.1

Articulating the arms through their full sweep produced smooth increases/decreases in resistance.

So does that rule out the senders? If so what would be the next step? I haven’t seen the back of the gas gauge but is it possible to check to see if the correct resistance values are getting to the gauge?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…