Menu

2nd gen prius cv axle

• Creator
    Topic
    CoreyCorey
    Participant

Hello I recently replaced a passenger side cv axle on my wife’s car because the boot was torn on the inner rod. Before the replacement everything was fine. No noise while driving, no vibrations or nothing. After I replaced the cv axle with a new one from advance auto I heard a pop sound only sometimes when we stop and it will sometimes pop again when u accelerate from a stop. Other than that no problems. I got under the car to double check everything and the inner part of the cv that goes into the transmission has in and out play going into the transmission. No other play in it tho. I know the cv axle c clip is snapped in to the transmission because I tried to pull it back out an i could not get it back out without using a pry bar. There is no transmission leak or anything. Just the noise. I was wondering what could cause the play in an out? And is it ok to have that kind of play? Final drive in the transmission has sloop maybe idk if that’s possible? Something wrong with c clip? I’ve researched but found nothing on in and out play on the cv axle. Im assuming the pop sound is the inner part of the cv hitting against the transmission where the slop is. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      hondaguy453hondaguy453
      Participant

You’re sure you bought it for the correct year? I looked up the part in advance’s catalog and it looks like they have different part numbers based on the year.

CoreyCorey
        Participant

I just double checked my order on advance and it says exact fit for the 2007 model. I attached a screenshot of the details from my order that they claim it is for my car. But I will double check my vin number with the vin provided to match on the advance website and I’ll check to make sure they gave me the right part. Thank u for ur reply. I’m really needing to get this figured out quick because it’s my wife’s work car lol.

CoreyCorey
          Participant

I just double checked everything and it says that it is the right part for my car and it matches the vin specified by advance. I’m going to pull the cv axle again in the morning to cross reference everything again because I just don’t think that much play in the cv axle in and out is correct.

CoreyCorey
            Participant

I just jacked the car up and got under the car and my wife sat inside to listen to the noise as I tried to make the sound of the inner cv axle sliding into the transmission to create the sound she’s hearing and it did not sound the same. I looked at the driver’s side cv to see how much play it has and it slides in and out the same amount. So at this point im thinking the problem is something else. I checked all the engine mounts and the transmission might underneath but they all looked good. Does anyone have any ideas?

CoreyCorey
              Participant

It’s been awhile since I was able to get on here but I wanted to say that I figured out the issue. I pulled the cv axle again and found that the new cv axle was mismachined. The original had a small chamfer on the inner rod that goes into the transmission. The new one did not have it causing the inner spline to hit the transmission pump that runs through the center of the final drive in the transmission. I ended up getting another and all was good. Turns out the play in and out was acceptable and normal. The only play u do not want is up and down. Also the driver side cv axle has the same in and out play which is ok. I attached the picture of the original and new inner rod to show the chamfer. Thank u

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…