Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2015 Honda Fit EX – 1.5L L4 DOHC – Intake Valve Carbon Issue?

2015 Honda Fit EX – 1.5L L4 DOHC – Intake Valve Carbon Issue?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2015 Honda Fit EX – 1.5L L4 DOHC – Intake Valve Carbon Issue?

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by CamCam.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Daniel HightowerDaniel Hightower
    Participant

Hi
      First time poster, long time viewer. I apologize if this has been addressed in another thread.

I have a 2015 Honda Fit EX – 1.5L L4 DOHC which is a Honda Earth Dreams engine with Direct Injection.
      I have 80,000 miles on the vehicle and do not have any issues. The vehicle has been well maintained and all Honda recommended services have been performed.

The reason for my post is that I have saw online that Direct Injection engines can have carbon building up issues on the intake valves due to the fact the fuel does not pass over the intake valves to keep them clean.

Does anyone have knowledge of whether these Honda engines can have this issue, or has Honda somehow addressed it?
      I currently do not have access to a bore scope to see what mine look like.

I saw this video online and was considering performing this procedure but do not want to if it is not necessary.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcVDZAauO88
      Product: CRC GDI IVD® Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner

Also:
      Just bought a 2018 CRV EX that has the same engine + a Turbo so have that same concern about that vehicle in terms of maintenance for that.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

One reply of a Honda owner:
        As a first hand unfortunate casualty of the Honda DI issue, I can assert that Honda most certainly does have a problem with carbon build up on the valves of their DI Earth Dreams engine. My 2015 Honda Fit was driven 50,000 miles per year, mostly highway mileage at 2000 – 2200 rpms. So the miles were 80% highway and I had significant carbon build up on the valves. My factory set of injectors failed at 57,000 miles and the 2nd set of injectors failed at 98,000 miles. The first time the car was in the shop for the first failure, they took a sample of the fuel in the tank to test it to ensure it was Tier One, which it was as with every tank I put through it since it was new. This issue was totally irrelevant because the carbon problem occurs at the valves which the fuel never touches… Anyway, the injectors were sent to CA to the Honda engineers and at the time, Sept 2016, we were told there were no TSBs or recalls for this issue. Honda paid to replace the injectors. The second injector failure, the code was the same, running too lean, and Honda engineers did the same fuel test, this time emptied the tank to ensure I did not have sediment in the bottom, which I didn’t, and their “Fix” was to put another set of injectors in it and I pay a 30% co pay this time because of the mileage. I disagreed, as did the shop service manager that the problem is not the injectors, the proposed repair is just a band aid. The injectors are failing because of a problem with the DI fuel delivery process. I and the shop were summarily shut down by Honda of America. They refused to acknowledge our point of contention which makes all the sense in the world since we had evidence of the excessive carbon on the valves and the prior injector replacement did not fix the problem when the engine was still under factory warranty. Honda engineers refused to admit they were ignoring finding the source of the problem and fixing it. I guess they were not anticipating that I drive 50K miles plus per year and assumed I would trade the car off or sell it before the second failure happened. As a result, I took a loss on the Fit and got rid of it the day after I paid for the 30% of the cost to replace the injectors. I had just paid for a MAF sensor and the 100,000 mile service (major tune, trans service) just two weeks prior to the second injector failure. To add to the insult, I was upside down on the loan, as the car was only 2 years into the payments. So yeah, I am not happy with Honda to say the least. for all of you who are commenting that you have not heard of Honda DI problems, they are a known issue with Honda. I can tell you, after talking to Honda of America, they do know about it, but clearly Honda is going to have to be forced to deal with the DI problems and come up with a solution, because they will not do it voluntarily. Pretty soon all of the other people driving these Earth Dreams DI engines are going to start to catch up to me on mileage and these problems will become more numerous.

CamCam
        Participant

Surprised nobody replied to this
          Unfortunately Honda like many manufacturers are forced to deny any faults.

Like many of the issues happening behind the bay doors at your dealer. Honda is in crisis over the design flaw. The dealer can’t say anything to you or receive back lash.

Your Honda Fit issue is just one of many other issues. Like spark plug and ignition coil issues. That was a actual service bulletin.

The secondary issue is Honda denies that a isuse exists. And I’m so says selling injector or decarbon services is not allowed.
          So dealer hands are tied and letting the customer suffer like yourself.

Shame

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…