Menu

Truck Stuck in Reverse?

• Creator
    Topic
    SandraSandra
    Participant

I have a 1988 Ford Ranger, original engine and transmission. Lately I keep having more and more trouble shifting, when the truck is cold. So When I go out to start it in the morning, and back out of my parking space and then try to go into first it wont go, in the past i could get it to slide into 3rd but not anymore. I tired to put it back in reverse and the gear just sounded like it was grinding and wouldn’t go all the way back in. After trying for almost a min I finally got it into 3rd, rolled forward and then was able to slide it into first. When it warms up which takes a really long time I don’t have as much trouble but it seems to be starting in alittle bit. My backup skill are pretty good but I don’t think the cops will allow me to test drive it that way.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      TheFellaTheFella
      Participant

Very first thing I’d check is the transmission fluid level. There should be instructions in your owner’s manual on how to do this, but generally the engine has to be idling and the transmission warm, but this may vary slightly from vehicle to vehicle. If your level is super low, this can cause issues similar to what you describe. And if it’s low, you probably have a leak.

SandraSandra
        Participant

I have recently had the transmission oil changed and no new leaks (I have a very tinny oil leak) under the truck. I have been told there might me a possibility that the clutch is giving out. Does this sound like it might fit?

Zac AleksovskiZac Aleksovski
          Participant

Clutch might need adjustment if that is possible on your truck. My ’86 Mustang had cable clutch linkage and had a ratcheting type deal in the pedal assembly to adjust the cable. Don’t know what a Ranger of that year has. Linkage, cable, or hydraulic?

SandraSandra
            Participant

My manual says its Hydraulic and no adjustments are needed. I checked the fluid not to long ago but it might not hurt to check it again.

*Update, I checked the fluid and it is full, how often are you suppose to add some?

*Update 2, I have just come acrossed the information that you are suppose to bleed the clutch fluid (though it doesn’t say how often) seeing as how I never knew this information..-_- my father a mechanic never taught it to me. Could it be part of the problem. It has most likely been 15 + years.

MikeMike
              Participant

Could be leaks and/or air/moisture in your clutch hydraulic system. You say it’s been 15 years since it’s seen any attention. Seeing as how clutch fluid is brake fluid, I wouldn’t be surprised if moisture has contaminated the fluid over time. Sounds like a flush/refill/bleeding would be a good idea.

Other possibilities include a failing clutch, failing throwout bearing, internal transmission issues with your shift forks or gear synchros, or wear/adjustment issues in your shifter mechanism.

Dave TidmanDave Tidman
                Participant

Could be the pilot bearing also. This video describes similar symptoms to yours.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgggQsVNgOg

Let us know what you find.

SandraSandra
                  Participant

Just wanted to post an update. I ended up taking it to my mechanic since it was over my skill level. The Salve cinder, clutch disc, and flywheel all needed replaced. Good news is now that the clutch is fixed they where able to hear the transmission and it still sounds good! I asked them what shape everything had been in and they said it was defiantly time, I guess making it last 30 years was great.
                    I get to go pick up my baby in the morning and start breaking in a new clutch.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…