Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 07′ Honda Accord Hybrid V6 – Random Misfire Issue

07′ Honda Accord Hybrid V6 – Random Misfire Issue

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 07′ Honda Accord Hybrid V6 – Random Misfire Issue

• Creator
    Topic
    Chris ChowChris Chow
    Participant

Greetings Car Enthusiasts and Professionals,

I currently own a Honda Accord Hybrid 2007 V6 (J Series), and would like to have your insight in addressing a random misfire code P0300 through P0306 which happens intermittently during idle after turning on the ignition either after the 2nd or 3rd time when I drive during the day. The CEL doesn’t trigger during a cold start but with a warm start, this happens when I crank on the ignition a 2nd time (if I were to make a round trip).

The CEL goes away after a few days or so after a few ignition crank cycles, but would trigger again ever so intermittently. I typically drive most on the weekends.

I’m not a very mechanically adept person, but am an avid enthusiast in learning parts and functions to a vehicle.

I currently have about 106k miles and here is a history of the major work that was performed on my vehicle:

Mileage 104,410 – Performed by the dealer on Nov 2016
      – Mentioned to Honda Service that I had oil leak on spark plug coil on Cyl. #6 after doing a DIY examination
      – Dealer recommended a valve adjustment, and valve cover and head cover gaskets to be replaced. Spark plug seals were replaced
      – All 6 Spark plugs were replaced, and replaced one spark plug coil pack

Mileage 104,841 – Misfire codes triggered once again, and reached out to the dealership service adviser of random misfire P0300-306

– Close to New Year’s Eve 2016, I left my car at dealership service for a week and was kept in the loop by the service adviser of what diagnoses were being done. Was told that spark plugs were fine, compression test ran normal, no issue with fuel injectors and no issues with lean fuel mixture. I asked if there was a possible vacuum leak but I was told that wasn’t an issue, but in the back of my head, I don’t know if they went through each diagnostic step to eliminate anything that was out of the ordinary. I didn’t get any codes of a MAF or O2 sensor when I plugged my OBD tool.
      – According to invoice, “Valves were adjusted to max loose side and retested for misfire, did not have as many misfires at this time, cleared all codes, and reset crank pattern learn. Further concern, may need internal engine work”
      – A few days after I picked up my vehicle, I cranked the ignition on a cold start and checked my OBD2 and noticed that there were “Pending” misfire codes but the CEL did not come on. After a 2nd crank during the day, ran the OBD2 scan and there were no codes. See below screenshots taken from OBD2.

Mileage 102,185 – Performed by the dealer on Aug 2016
      – Timing Belt & Water Pump Service

—————————————————————
      Random P0300-P0306 Misfire incidents also dated back in 2012:
      Mileage 77,742 Jan. 2012 Invoice
      – Dealership service performed PCM Update
      – “Confirmed CEL P0300-P0306. Updated PCM with two updates. Ref TSB #10-007. MAP Voltage at 0.99V. Should be at 0.90V. If light (CEL) comes back on, recommend valve adjustment”

Random P0300-P0306 Misfire incidents also dated back in 2013:
      Mileage 86,348 Sept. 2013 Invoice
      – “Tune up 6 Cyl: Removal/Replacement of Spark Plugs, PCV Valve, Fuel Filter, & Air Filter if needed. Adjusted ignition timing & fuel system”
      – Reflash Computer to latest software’
      Note: Did not get a CEL for about 7 months after this work, and had a CEL trigger for random misfire codes in Fall 2014.

Nov 2014 – Hybrid IMA battery failed and replaced under warranty at Mileage 94k.

This car has been through a lot, and I’m not quite ready to give up on this vehicle as long as my budget allows. As any car owner can relate, I don’t want to throw away money at a part towards a problem as a simple bandaid to a symptom that has been an ongoing issue. I always have done routine maintenance on my vehicle with oil changes and such. I would love to have every single diagnostic performed to a T before being advised in what to spend on.

Any insight and information will be helpful! Drive safe and have fun!

Cheers,
      Chris

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

Seems like a lot has been done. I’m going to suggest a power balance test. you may
        need to do this when the misfires are happening or when the car is hot.

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-performance-issues

cj1cj1
        Participant

Does the check engine light ever flash during the misfire?
          Just wondering if engine/cat converter being damaged.

Chris ChowChris Chow
          Participant

The CEL flashes for a brief second or so after I crank on the ignition and it’s a steady light.

Chris ChowChris Chow
            Participant

Wouldn’t make sense that the Cat. converter being damaged unless a code was triggered, no?

cj1cj1
              Participant

If check engine light is only on steady when car running then misfires not likely damaging to converter.

Seems Honda has been trying numerous fixes for this problem without much success.
                Since misfires are so long in between and none damaging probably not worth it to pursue a fix unless you want to do some detective work yourself.
                Can you post freeze frame data for the error codes?
                Any engine parameters( fuel trimsECT|MAFMAPAFO2) that are suspect?

Chris ChowChris Chow
                Participant

Thank you so much for offering me help by the way.
                  So I took a few freeze frames in the past and I’m not sure what I’m comparing in terms of what numbers are considered baseline vs. suspicious discrepancy.

Cold start Jan 22, 2017:

Fuel Status = 0 byte
                  Engine Load = 47.843 %
                  Engine Coolant Temperature = 104 °F
                  Fuel Trim Bank 1 Short Term = 6.25 %
                  Fuel Trim Bank 1 Long Term = 7.031 %
                  Fuel Trim Bank 2 Short Term = 0.781 %
                  Fuel Trim Bank 2 Long Term = 6.25 %
                  Intake Manifold Pressure = 6.962 psi
                  Engine RPM = 1,011 rpm
                  Speed (OBD) = 0 mph
                  Timing Advance = -6 °
                  Intake Air Temperature = 98.6 °F
                  Mass Air Flow Rate = 10.73 g/s
                  Throttle Position(Manifold) = 17.255 %
                  Relative Throttle Position = 7.451 %

Dec 23, 2016:

Fuel Status = 0 byte
                  Engine Load = 43.137 %
                  Engine Coolant Temperature = 49 °C
                  Fuel Trim Bank 1 Short Term = 13.281 %
                  Fuel Trim Bank 1 Long Term = 6.25 %
                  Fuel Trim Bank 2 Short Term = 7.031 %
                  Fuel Trim Bank 2 Long Term = 3.906 %
                  Intake Manifold Pressure = 6.237 psi
                  Engine RPM = 900 rpm
                  Speed (OBD) = 0 km/h
                  Timing Advance = 10 °
                  Intake Air Temperature = 32 °C
                  Mass Air Flow Rate = 7.35 g/s
                  Throttle Position(Manifold) = 15.686 %
                  Relative Throttle Position = 5.49 %

Nov 8th, 2016 (I think this was on 2nd crank of ignition):

Fuel Status = 0 byte
                  Engine Load = 30.196 %
                  Engine Coolant Temperature = 62 °C
                  Fuel Trim Bank 1 Short Term = 12.5 %
                  Fuel Trim Bank 1 Long Term = 7.812 %
                  Fuel Trim Bank 2 Short Term = 8.594 %
                  Fuel Trim Bank 2 Long Term = 9.375 %
                  Intake Manifold Pressure = 4.351 psi
                  Engine RPM = 789 rpm
                  Speed (OBD) = 0 km/h
                  Timing Advance = 9.5 °
                  Intake Air Temperature = 47 °C
                  Mass Air Flow Rate = 4.26 g/s
                  Throttle Position(Manifold) = 14.118 %
                  Relative Throttle Position = 2.745 %

cj1cj1
                  Participant

Can you post the same data at similar ECT when no error codes are recorded?

Chris ChowChris Chow
                    Participant

Apologies as I’m trying to understand your question. How would you like for me to take the data?

Take the freeze data when the CEL is not on? I should not clear the codes stored, right?

cj1cj1
                      Participant

Make a note of the freeze frame engine parameters and then clear the codes.
                        When a error code sets the ECM stores a freeze frame( data such as fuel trims/RPM/ECTt This shows what engine was doing at the time the error code set.

The freeze frames you posted were then just snap shots of the engine parameters and not error code freeze frame?
                        Your scan tool may not have error code freeze frame info.
                        Does it have misfire cylinder monitor capabilities?

Chris ChowChris Chow
                        Participant

I am using the Torque app on my android.

I took the freeze frame data right after I ran the scan for codes. I don’t think the app has capability of taking an error code freeze frame nor live misfire monitor.

Chris ChowChris Chow
                          Participant

I am using the Torque app on my android.

I’m not sure if the app has capability to store an error code freeze frame. I don’t think it has a live misfire cylinder monitor, either.

On the app, I took a freeze frame right after I scanned for fault codes, which I guess it isn’t the correct data to look for?

What is the cost of purchasing a tool that has those features?

What should I do at this point if my current scan tool doesn’t have a live misfire monitor nor an option for an error code freeze frame? How should I approach this diagnosis?

cj1cj1
                            Participant

Really don’t know the torque app capabilities. Post the engine parameters and with engine running and no error codes pending or set.

Chris ChowChris Chow
                              Participant

I’ll definitely keep you posted. Thank you so much for the help!

Chris ChowChris Chow
                                Participant

So I logged some data and graphed fuel trims (short and long term). Attached is the PDF

Tried to interpret the data myself it seems that based on the short term fuel trim, fuel is running pretty lean on idle? I drove 4 times today to get as much information.

Let me know what you’re able to glean here.

I can’t attach the excel file, shoot me a message if you want me to email to you.

Thanks,
                                  Chris

Chris ChowChris Chow
                                  Participant

I logged another trip today (see attached for Jan 29th), and also made corrections to the original attached PDF for Jan 28th.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…