Honda 2.4 L VTC Actuator Noise

• Samjustsam
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
3 years 2 months ago #161260 by Samjustsam
Honda 2.4 L VTC Actuator Noise was created by Samjustsam
Alright, I am seeking some advice. I have a 2012 Honda CRV with the 2.4 L engine. Roughly 86,000 miles. Has that famous VTC actuator grind noise after cold start up. It sounds awful for a second. I have talked to a couple of mechanics/service advisors. Some say this is an annoyance but is not doing any harm. The Honda dealer will not replace the actuator because they insist that once it is replaced the issue often continues to re-occur. I am considering a couple things if I do indeed fix it.

Swapping it out myself (I am a light hobbyist. Oil changes, spark plugs, brakes, etc.) and this seems a little bit above my paygrade. I would print out the TSB and follow it to the letter if I did indeed do it.

Taking it to a non Honda dealer mechanic and getting an idea as to whether or not they can fix it right and not break the bank.

Questions: Is this doing harm to the engine?
Is this relatively simple for some guy to do in his garage himself?
Is it recommended I take it to side street garage mechanic that is ASE certified to just get it done?

It's my wife's vehicle and it is making her a little crazy. People walking by sort of jump when she starts it. thoughts?

Thanks, in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
More
3 years 2 months ago #161310 by ArmedsouthernEr
Replied by ArmedsouthernEr on topic Honda 2.4 L VTC Actuator Noise
Did some research on this issue and it seems that Honda has put out a TSB A15110E that states they know about the issue and that the current stock of VTC actuators will not fix the problem and that they are working on a solution around February or march of this year at which time they will put out a new TSB. The TSB is dated November 2015. I do not see a new service bulletin so I assume they still have not come up with a fix to the issue. Untill they have an updated part you will probably just be wasting your time and money.

Life aint nothin but nuts and bolts
Professional ASE master certified, GM certified Technician. 10+ years in the trenches.

More
3 years 2 months ago #161312 by DaFirnz
Replied by DaFirnz on topic Honda 2.4 L VTC Actuator Noise
The dealer doesn't want to fix it because there's no money in it for them. If you complain enough, they should be able to replace it for you. I saw several replaced, the thing is the warranty replacement pays something ridiculous like 1.5 hours so NOBODY wants to call it if they don't have to. You could also try calling Honda corporate customer service to see if they have anything to say about it. Even if an updated part is released, it would be safe to expect several months of back order.

More
3 years 2 months ago #161318 by ArmedsouthernEr
Replied by ArmedsouthernEr on topic Honda 2.4 L VTC Actuator Noise
Think what you want but not every dealership or technician is out to screw you or pull one over your eyes. Honda has stated they are working on an updated part to correct the issue. I wouldn't replace it either based on the information that I have. It probably wont fix it and if it doesn't now I have a customer that is mad at me and the job has to be done all over again when their is an updated part. I can see where the dealership is coming from.

Life aint nothin but nuts and bolts
Professional ASE master certified, GM certified Technician. 10+ years in the trenches.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #161333 by DaFirnz
Replied by DaFirnz on topic Honda 2.4 L VTC Actuator Noise
OK then. We should just hope that the VTC actuator doesn't get bad enough to throw the chain off the guide.
Album.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by DaFirnz.

Advertisement
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #164905 by natevi
Replied by natevi on topic Honda 2.4 L VTC Actuator Noise
Currently a Technician at a Honda dealer. The TSB has been revised, parts are in stock, and if I'm not mistaken the warranty period has been extended for effected vehicles. So far I haven't seen any VTC issues other than the annoying rattle at start up. If you have a vehicle effected by it please bring it in! Chances are itll be covered under warranty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rthnwi

• Samjustsam
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
2 years 10 months ago #168833 by Samjustsam
Replied by Samjustsam on topic Honda 2.4 L VTC Actuator Noise
I have an update on this issue and it is good news. I picked the car up from the dealer service department today. The actuator was replaced at no cost to me. So far, no noise! Thanks for the advice and insights everyone. I appreciate it. Stay Dirty!

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #185830 by rthnwi
Replied by rthnwi on topic Honda 2.4 L VTC Actuator Noise
Hi!

I know this is an old thread but I'm looking for answers.

I'm wondering if you have the current TSB number so I can take that to my dealership. I'm experiencing the same issue with my 2012 CRV (97k miles).
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by rthnwi.

• Samjustsam
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
2 years 1 month ago #185833 by Samjustsam
Replied by Samjustsam on topic Honda 2.4 L VTC Actuator Noise
Hey sorry. I personally dont have the bulliten # but they are well aware of the issue. Unfortuntately, i have the noise again in colder weather. Not as bad as it was but its there.

More
2 years 1 month ago #185836 by Bonnieman
Replied by Bonnieman on topic Honda 2.4 L VTC Actuator Noise

rthnwi wrote: Hi!

I know this is an old thread but I'm looking for answers.

I'm wondering if you have the current TSB number so I can take that to my dealership. I'm experiencing the same issue with my 2012 CRV (97k miles).

Google yields this:

Honda TSB Number:A09-010.V4
NHTSA Number:10087883TSB
Date:March 17, 2016
Failing Component: Engine (Pws)
Summary: Service bulletin - replace the vtc actuator if the engine rattles loudly for 2 seconds during cold start-up.

Advertisement
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds