Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2000 Nissan Maxima Idle Surge and Stall

2000 Nissan Maxima Idle Surge and Stall

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2000 Nissan Maxima Idle Surge and Stall

• Creator
    Topic
    NissanMaxxNissanMaxx
    Participant

Hello, I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima that has an idle surge and stalls after a few seconds of the idle surge. Only happens when cold and Ill start the car and once the rpms drop to about 1,000, it’ll start surging then after a couple seconds it’ll just stall. I was thinking maf sensor, iac valve, or egr valve. Was wondering what other peoples thoughts were? And how would I go about checking all that? Check engine light is on but its for a P0430 which is my catalytic converter which I doubt has any effect on this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      DanielDaniel
      Participant

If you have a cat efficiency code I would start by checking the in and out power to the O2 sensor. Maybe spray some throttle body cleaner in there. Give it a tune-up (if it’s been a while). Nissans can be a little quirky with the OBD. I’ve seen misfires and O2 sensors throw a Cat code in Nissans. Usually just in the early OBD2 cars. You will need a multimeter to test these things. Check out YouTube or some of Eric’s videos for good examples of diag.

NissanMaxxNissanMaxx
        Participant

I just did a tune – up, NGK Spark Plugs, and brand new coils from Nissan. I think the P0430 is coming from the o2 sensor but still doesn’t help my idle surge. I’m not too concerned about the P0430. I have a multimeter I can use. I was just curious if what I mentioned could be possible issues with the idle surge and stall? And is there a way to clean the IAC valve and EGR valve? I wanted to try cleaning them first. Ik how to clean the MAF sensor which I’m also gonna try.

DanielDaniel
          Participant

I’m sure you could clean them with acetone or throttle body cleaner. What you mentioned could be the cause, but so could the O2 sensor. O2 sensors are usually pretty easy to test and, relatively, inexpensive. Check the TPS through it’s whole range. It could have worn contacts and need to be replaced. Just make sure you are testing things with your multimeter so you don’t buy parts that aren’t needed. Let us know what you find.

NissanMaxxNissanMaxx
            Participant

Will do and I have a scanner that reads live data. I was wondering if I could use that to my advantage somehow?

DanielDaniel
              Participant

Yes. You can check those components with the multimeter then check them in live data just to make sure the computer is seeing the correct inputs. You can also see if things fluctuate. After you clean the TPS and IAC delete the Cat code and see if it comes back or maybe new (more useful) codes pop up.

Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
                Participant

I just fixed one like this, a 96 with a 3 liter, same motor. I threw some BGK44 in it, and ran it down the road, hard. I always wanted to try Chrysler Combustion cleaner, but just running it hard cleared it up for me, for a time. Then the car went down the road. The cars value didn’t necessitate deep repairs, however my problem was misfires.

DaveDave
                  Participant

Hi NissanMaxx, were you ever able to resolve the idle surge problem? I have a 2000 Infiniti I30, with the exact same issue, and same catalytic DTC Code! Like you, I suspect that the code has little to do with cold start idle surge, but who knows… Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…