Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Sound when coming to complete stop with brakes

Sound when coming to complete stop with brakes

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Sound when coming to complete stop with brakes

• Creator
    Topic
    JeremyJeremy
    Participant

So I recently purchased a 05 scion tc which I believe was sitting outside for probably 6 months or so and when I brake and come to a complete stop there is an audible noise and a sound/vibration. I know when you are driving you can actually feel it, but I’m not sure what the problem is here. I think that the time outside could have possibly rusted the rotors and what I am feeling is the brake pad going over the unrusted spot where it was sitting for 6 months. Is this correct? Help?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Stephen BowenStephen Bowen
      Participant

It’s possible.

The only way to tell for sure is to inspect the brakes and see what the condition is.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-brake-problems?start=1#BrakeNoise

Lots of good information right there for you! Covers most of the good stuff to check.

S-

David RoddickDavid Roddick
        Participant

Good advice. It’s quite common brake rotors to get a coating of rust where the pad hits the rotor if the car is outside and not driven. Also, some brake pad material seems to absorb moisture when car just sits. In both cases, just driving the car some may solve the problems. However, it’s still best to inspect the brakes in case something more serious is going on.

JBJB
          Participant

We had a car sit about 6 months over winter that needed work done. The rotors had been severely rusted and caused all kinds of noise and vibration. Some consistent driving has made it better but the real solution would be to replace the rotors and possibly the pads as well. Note that a compromised friction surface reduces the braking ability of your vehicle and should be compensated with a modified driving style until remedied. Depending on the age and use of the rotors you may be able to have them turned to save a few bucks.

Stephen BowenStephen Bowen
            Participant

Sadly the rust issue has really gotten bad the last 10+ years.

Most of the brake system parts have been outsourced to China, and the uber cheap steel isn’t anywhere near the quality it used to be.

Just did the brakes on the wife’s beetle in Nov of last year. Had to replace the rotors last month due to severe rust build up. I’ve worked on cars from back in the 70’s that sat for months and months…never had a huge build up of rust. These newer cars/trucks? Can’t even sit for two days without getting rusty.

If you need to replace the rotors? Try and stay away from the usual ‘house brands’ and go for more name brand types. Rotors made in the USA or Canada are much better quality then the china knock offs.

S-

JBJB
              Participant

Some companies are shipping coated rotors now as well. I know centric is shipping an e coated rotor that has a coating on the non friction surfaces which helps keep the rust from starting. Before I found those I would paint the non friction areas to help the rust from grabbing hold.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

As many on this thread have pointed out it sounds like you have issues with flash rust. I covered that in the article link that was posted for you. You may need to replace the rotors or have them machined to correct the issue.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…