Menu

!992 Acura Legend

• Creator
    Topic
    FrankFrank
    Participant

Im new to this forum but not to Eric the Car Guy. Which is besides the point lol. I have a 1992 Acura Legend i bought about month or so ago. The Car had an over heating issue when i first got it and i replaced the thermostat and that solved the issue……for about 3 weeks. I had a coolant leak but couldn’t find it then one day heading to location for work the Radiator busted (which solved that problem asap lol!) replaced that the same day. So now when i went to bleed and system i noticed the car still over heated and would for the most part throw up the coolent all over the engine bay.i noticed the fans were not turning on so i tested the rans and relays and all checked out i thought the it might had been the fan temp switch so i went ahead and replaced that out but that didn’t solve the issue. I then also noticed lower hose was ice cold and the top hose was hotter then all hell so i switched out the thermostat again seeing it wouldn’t hurt to try bc it was under warranty but no fix……..So i did a little reading and i found the dreaded issue of head gasket being blown may be the culprit so i plan on confirming this today after work today or this weekend on my days off…….

SO MY REASON TO THIS TOPIC IS…….I do plan on repairing the car and plan on going OEM on the gasket set. I was thinking of replacing the timing belt and water pump seeing how ima be in that general area anyways, but is there anything else i should think of replacing when getting this job done?

Also btw im unsure if I’m going to be going to a shop or DIY I’m gonna see what this will set me back and then go from there.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man
        EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

It’s likely a head gasket problem as you suggest. It’s common for that engine. Not because it’s a bad engine, but because no one ever seems to bleed them out properly. If an air pocket gets stuck in the system it sits on the rear of the cylinder heads and kills the head gaskets. Mostly on the drivers side. That’s a BIG job though. I’ve seen it give seasoned mechanics a difficult time. If you don’t have a torch to get the exhaust bolts loose on the exhaust pipes, you may be in for a big fight. They’re stuffed up in there pretty good. The hardest part of the job in my opinion. There’s also quite a few connections on the back of the intake manifold that can be a PITA. I’d love to get my hands on one of those to do a video, although it’s not likely to help many people these days, save you. I was know for my abilities with those engines. That said, just replace the head gaskets and intake gaskets. That will save you a good deal of money. Use OE gaskets. Also, be very careful when cleaning the mating surfaces. You don’t want to scratch them up. You’ve got a good idea of doing the timing belt and water pump at the same time. Thing is, it’s also a big job and you’ll need the special tool to get the crank bolt loose.

It’s a big job that you’re talking about. It would cost 3K or more at a shop I’m sure with the timing belt and water pump.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…