Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Replacing motor mounts 2005 Accord V6

Replacing motor mounts 2005 Accord V6

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Replacing motor mounts 2005 Accord V6

• Creator
    Topic
    fitonefitone
    Participant

I have a 2005 Accord V6 with auto. trans. The front and passenger side motor mounts need to be replaced. My question is regarding the removal of the front mount. It appears that I first need to remove vacuum line on bottom of mount and the two mounting bolts on the mount stop. Remove the front mount bolt and then the four lower mounting bolts. Place a floor jack under the trans. and raise engine up enough to remove the front engine mount. It appears that the cooling fans might be in the way and would prevent the mount from being raised upward. If I disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses and use the space created from there removal that might be an option. Anyone that has replaced a front mount on a 2005 Accord or that generation (03-07) and could offer some tips or suggestions that would be appreciated. See the attached file it’s item number 13.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MathieuMathieu
      Participant
        fitonefitone
        Participant

Plasmide56, thanks for your reply. I have already purchased the two mounts and they were within a dollar of the link you had provided. I did see this DIY when I was looking for the information on the steps to replace front mount. They are pretty general and could apply to many cars. After looking closer it appears that the left (driver side) cooling fan needs to be removed. This would in turn provide the clearance to remove the mount. I will post back within the next week or so when I have time to do these repairs.

MathieuMathieu
          Participant

Thanks you for your update . B)

college mancollege man
              fitonefitone
              Participant

Thanks College Man, But this is for a 98-02 Accord. The 03-07 generation of Accord use a similar but different looking the mount. The bolt that goes to the engine mount bracket is horizontal vs vertical as shown in the steps. I wish that I had this when I did the mount on my 02 V6 last year.
                I spoke with one of the local Honda shops and he confirmed what I had mentioned earlier about removing the cooling fan. But thanks for taking the time to find this info. I will report back after it’s repaired and perhaps this might help someone else.

college mancollege man

keep us posted. 🙂

fitonefitone
                  Participant

I finished earlier today replacing the front and passenger side engine mounts on my 2005 Accord V6.
                    Just wanted to share some information about this job and perhaps it will help someone else. Sorry no pictures other than the old mounts. There several DIY with pics on either driveaccord.net or acurazine.com if needed.
                    Tools I used for the job are as follows:
                    10mm, 12mm, 14mm , and 17 mm sockets (mount bolts and nuts are 14mm and 17mm)
                    1/2″ breaker bar and 1/2″ ratchet
                    universal extension (wobble type) and some misc. extensions
                    floor jack and 2 x 4 x ~6″lg. for placing between jack and engine

Started with front mount first. Remove plastic shroud on bottom of car and remove driver side cooling fan, battery and tray. Noticed that some people remove the pass. side fan in order to remove the driver side. I decided to go this route. While you are under the car remove the vacuum line on the bottom of the mount.
                    Also need to remove upper radiator hose and burp cooling system after you are finished with reassembly.
                    Place floor jack with 2×4 between jack cup and transaxle. Raise enough to make contact at this point in time.
                    Remove the two bolts on the bumper bracket that goes over the mount.
                    Remove 17mm horiz. bolt that goes through mount.
                    Remove the four mounting bolts that are attached to the sub-frame. This is where you will need the universal extension in order to remove the left rear bolt. Having the extension at a slight angle makes this much easier.
                    Raise engine with jack enough to allow mount to be removed and replaced.
                    Re-install is just the reverse. Be sure not to forget to reattach the vacuum line to the bottom of the mount.

Side mount is pretty straight forward. Place your floor jack with 2×4 under the oil pan and raise with slight contact to pan.
                    Slide power steering reservoir out of the way.
                    Remove 17mm horizontal bolt first and then two bolts for the engine bracket.
                    Remove the two remaining bolts that attach mount to body. Note that there is a direction arrow on the mount flange that points towards the front of the car. Re-install new mount with arrow in the same direction. Reverse steps to re-install.
                    I did not have a torque wrench so I just did all the bolts snug tight.

See the attached pictures for the old mounts. The pieces with the lugs attached to the rubber are supposed to be vertical and obviously should not be torn away from the surrounding rubber.
                    I used OEM parts and the cost was about $260 from Bernardiparts.com. Local Honda dealer wanted $622 parts and labor for this job. Hope this helps someone !

college mancollege man

Great job on the mounts.They were tired. 🙂

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                      Keymaster

The mount is a common failure point. Instead of removing the fan I just drop the sub frame. It’s only a few fasteners and you can drop it out. You need to support the engine/trans however. To me this is easier than fighting with it to try and work it around the boss that extends from the front of the engine. Thanks for the update and for the detailed step by step.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…