Menu

VTEC Solenoid Oil Leak

• Creator
    Topic
    EdwinEdwin
    Participant

Hey everyone. 2000 Accord 4cyl here. 144,000 miles.

I recently had a mechanic take a look under my car pertaining to a small oil leak, and he said the VTEC solenoid is the culprit.

Now my question for those more experienced and knowledgeable is, after doing some reading is replacing just the gasket ok, or does the whole assembly need to be replaced?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

If just the gasket is leaking. then just replace the gasket.

bigmeatbigmeat
        Participant

We just ran into that problem about a month ago. Replace just the gasket or the o ring. You have to get it at the dealer.

EdwinEdwin
          Participant

Thanks for the replies.

[quote=”bigmeat” post=46499]We just ran into that problem about a month ago. Replace just the gasket or the o ring. You have to get it at the dealer.[/quote]

The top of the solenoid looks easy enough to get off with a wrench or socket. The bottom part I’m not so sure of.

If you don’t mind me asking, what was your procedure for actually getting to the gaskets to replace them?

ridinred24ridinred24
            Participant

They are a bit of a pain in the butt on those accords.

First I would buy both the upper o-ring and the actual screen/gasket that goes between it and the cylinder head.

Take the top solonoid part off to get a little more room and then get the 3 bolts out for the rest of the assembly. Its just going to take some elbow grease and patience

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

It’s a very easy repair. I do recommend the Honda gasket however. It’s just a matter of removing the 3 10mm fasteners that hold it to the cylinder head. Replace the gasket, clean the area and you’re done.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…