Menu

Stumped on rear brakes

• Creator
    Topic
    BlackGPGTBlackGPGT
    Participant

Got a 2004 Buick Lesabre. If the car sits overnight and I use the car the next day, initially I get a very loud rubbing sound coming from the rear brakes. Think of a table being dragged across a floor. I have replaced them this past summer. New pads and rotors. Not because of the sound, just normal wear and tear. The brakes only get loud just once. After the next time the pedal is pushed, no sound and all is well. I have taken them apart to look for anything off etc… everything is correct. Pads are good, bolts are tight and secure, no sign of unusual wear on the rotor or gouges. The only thing I can think of is the piston in the caliper( I assume are original) are not functioning properly and not pressing the pads in fully for the first time that day.

Here’s the kicker……… I live next to a stop sign. So my driveway is right there. If I go to the stop sign, the brakes are loud. Now if I go the other direction, there’s no stopping for a couple blocks. The brakes are quiet. Brakes have more time to sling off any condensation or moisture before stopping is my best guess?

Anyway, I figured I’d ask before pulling the trigger for new calipers. The car does not pull to either direction when stopping, just FYI

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      RobRob
      Participant

is it both sides doing it??? if its just one side then you will have to check it and try pushing in the caliter and see if its stiff and check the boot on it for tears if u see tears then your pisten is most likey bad… also check those sliding pins they might be bad causing the noise.. also if you have brakets for the pads check them too

BlackGPGTBlackGPGT
        Participant

I can’t tell to be honest with you. It’s loud enough it sounds as if both sides are. I’ll tear into it one more time, perhaps I overlooked something. The calipers were somewhat resistant when screwing in the pistons both times but not terrible Told me the pistons were probably worn but not enough to replace them. I could be wrong.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…