Menu

1987 Honda Accord LXi

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Maintenance Forums 1987 Honda Accord LXi

• Creator
    Topic
    SalSal
    Participant

Facts: Car has less than 130,000 miles on it and is garaged. It is in pretty great shape. That is right it is 30 years old bought new back in 1987.

10/31/2017 Brought the car into a Certified Honda Dealership to have the oil changed including filter.

05/31/2017 Yeah me! I lost 75 pounds so I can now fix and maintain my cars again. Whilst changing the oil I noticed my oil wrench is way bigger than the oil filter that Honda put on it. I also noticed it was way smaller than the OEM replacement filter I bought to replace it with. I stopped left the old filter on just replaced the oil. I checked my math and indeedy I did buy the correct OEM replacement filter.

I am a pack rat (actually my wife had it scanned into her files as a PDF). The woman is a mythological animal half woman half filing cabinet. I love her. So I retrieved the invoice for the work and behold the Honda Certified dealership put the this filter on 15400-PLM-A02. Here’s the funny thing the Amazon App claims that this filter (15400-PLM-A02) does not fit a 1987 Honda Accord Lxi.

I contacted the dealership that did the work, here is what they said, all Honda’s take the same filter. I said, probably today they do, but that doesn’t go back in time to 1987. I get and oh and I will talk to Crusty back in the parts department. Ten minutes later she is back on the line saying that Crusty who has worked their for 35 years states it’s ok. I said, but wait Honda’s data fed into Amazon states it doesn’t. I am torn, I don’t want to belittle Crusty but what do I do? If indeed they caused damage I don’t want to find out when I remove the incorrect filter. There answer was bring it in and they will take it off of course I would pay for that service. I also said to them when you saw that you didn’t have the correct filter, why didn’t you tell me? And then state, hey but what we can do is spin on this oil filter not meant for your car.

Do you remember the movie Falling Down? That is where I am right now trying to type and cool down. Where’s my bat!

Eric, is there a chance I will be able to take off the incorrect filter and replace it without anything bad happening? Could it be Crusty is right and the info on Amazon and all the OEM manuafacturers are just wrong?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Loading…