Menu

Custom Ford Truck with engine swap

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Engine Modifications Custom Ford Truck with engine swap

• Creator
    Topic
    DanaDana
    Participant

Happy Fathers’ Day to everyone out there! Hope this is the correct place to post this question.

I’ve been thinking about a custom truck to do my livestock hauling and other such things on the ranch. I have a 2005 6.0L F350 that I’ve come to respect but it has some definite limitations on power and fixing anything on it is always a thousand bucks. In addition to that I’ve just had the front suspension overhauled with bearings, bushings and ball joints because it has a half ton of metal bouncing up and down on it all the time out at the ranch regardless of how easy I try to drive it. I’ve had it for about 4 years, bought it used so I don’t know what was done to it prior to that, but the ’93 with a 5.8L I have didn’t need that work done on it until we’d had it at least 10 years if not more plus it cost half as much.

Since Ford doesn’t offer anything other than diesels and the V10s in their 1 tons I was thinking of finding a project truck with a bad V10 engine to swap a 390 FE into built to put out around 400 hp or a little better. If I could swap a gas engine into a diesel truck, as heavily built as they are, the lighter engine (I think) would help the rest of the truck last longer on the ranch than a heavier one would but I don’t know how it would behave with the diesel’s transmission, which is huge. The gas engine would be putting out quite a bit more hp than the 6.0L to pull the trailers while not burning an insane amount of gas like the V10 just to put out feed or check water troughs.

Is any of this feasible?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Loading…