Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Dealership oil change issue – seized engine?

Dealership oil change issue – seized engine?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Automotive Discussion Dealership oil change issue – seized engine?

• Creator
    Topic
    Nate ThibodeauNate Thibodeau
    Participant

My Grandparent’s 2014 Ford Escape SE 1.4L EcoBoost 44K miles “just died” while they were driving home yesterday. They are clueless when it comes to cars. Someone stopped to try and help and tried to jump the car, with no luck, noting that power was not the issue, then mentioned seeing smoke, and then told them “no oil in car” after checking the dipstick and that is why it won’t turn over at all.

My Grandfather said no warning lights or beeps, it just died and won’t turn over.

They just had a oil change done 10 days ago at the same Ford Dealership that they bought the car from (brand new in 2014).

Once they had car towed away, to leave at dealership overnight until the open again Monday, and got back home, they did notice in their garage some oil stains along their driveway….so its clear something happened, like the drain plug or oil filter came loose at some point very recently.

I have to assume the Engine is seized up since it ran with no oil until it quit right? Even if they just filled it back up with oil to “get it ruining”, there had to have been severe internal damage right?

Any advice or experience from folks who have had this happen to them would be welcome.
      What is the likely-hood that the Ford Dealership Service Dept is gonna take responsibly for this and give them a new engine or car?
      Are they screwed and may just have to file insurance claim with their own company?
      Could a lawsuit be done against the Ford dealer?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Participant

To give an update, the dealership confirmed that the car has a seized engine. They claim they will take responsibility for it, however they are “still diagnosing what caused the failure”. It has been 6 days….no word. My folks call in, person there has no record of their car in their Service Dept.

Participant

This is just nuts. The dealership did find and replace the cars engine…with one that had 4K more miles on it apparently. The dealership never called to tell them their car was ready. They found out by calling in themselves that the car has been ready for over a week, but no one at the dealer had the time to call them. Meanwhile, the rental car the dealer gave them is weeks past the temp tag expire date now.

So they picked up their car 2 days ago. Today, while driving to a clients location downtown, the car self destructed with heavy smoke and oil all over the road.

I totally called it…lol! Bet it was the same incompetent technician that messed up the oil change that worked on their car again that now cause a second engine to blow up.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…