Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2006 Honda Odyssey transmission problems??

2006 Honda Odyssey transmission problems??

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Automotive Discussion 2006 Honda Odyssey transmission problems??

• Creator
    Topic
    MikeMike
    Participant

I’m am considering buying a 2006 Odyssey with 140k on it. Current owner says it has a slight buzz or vibration when it goes into Ecco mode but goes away under acceleration . Previous owner of 2 years has not had any problems with transmission. Prior to that I’m not sure.
      I am familiar with at least one Odyssey transmission problems. I have an 01 which I bought knowing the trans was out. Had it rebuilt by a local shop and it seems to be holding up after 60k on the rebuild. I like the 01, but living in Wisconsin the van is slowly disappearing from rust. I’m not buying any more cans of Great Foam!
      Does anyone have any knowledge about the 06 transmissions. Did they improve the design by then? Is the Ecco mode vibration a sign of future trans failure

Thanks

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

I don’t think the 2006 had problems. its made it with 140k

DavidDavid
        Participant

The third gen transmission was definitely an improvement in reliability over the second generation. 05 and 06 have the same transmission, then they changed it in 2007 to a heavier duty unit (from their truck, I think). We have an 05 and it went 211k miles before needing rebuilt (clutch pack failed) – it also made a whine which was apparently the result of a bearing on the mainshaft. We got a remanufactured unit from H&A transmissions.

The eco mode does cause folks problems, but not generally with the transmission. Many seem to go ahead and disable it (we have an 05 EX, so it’s a non-VCM engine and we don’t have to worry about it) – lots of info over on http://www.odyclub.com

MikeMike
          Participant

Thanks DrD for the info. What you said about the Ecco mode makes sense. Current owner replaced rear engine mount thinking the vibration would go away. It didn’t. I’m buying it cheap so I think I will take my chances on it.

Michael CheahMichael Cheah
            Participant

I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey bought second hand in 2012. Few problems with it until couple of months ago when at 129,000km, I experienced major transmission slipping in Reverse and D4. What is the connection between reverse and D4? Why are they happening together?

There was No check engine light, no code. The slipping is consistent like it is in Neutral, happening all the time. Changing the ATF and adding Lucas Non Slip did not help, I have driven some 300km since Lucas and the new ATF but the slipping is consistent. I even changed the small filter element but no good.

I also tried removing and cleaning couple of the solenoids (they were clean), and replaced the couple of pressure switches (with Honda originals) next to the driver side wheel well but still no good.

The minivan drives quite smoothly on D1 D2 D3. Am I in some safe mode?

Am I looking at transmission fix like, rebuilding, local rebuilt unit or factory remanufactured unit (but none ship to Canada)? Which is better for the money and longevity? Appreciate any help/comments. Thanks, Mike

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…